Equality and Diversity Support
The ASA has put together many useful equality and diversity resources for our clubs and members. Below is a collection of some of those resources.
Note: some links will take you away from this area to other sections of the website or to external websites.
Overview of the Equality Act (2010)
This handy toolkit produced by the Sport and Recreation Alliance aims to assist members in dealing with the requirements of the Equality Act (2010). The toolkit provides useful advice on what you need to do and where you should look for further help with equality issues in your sport or organisation.
ASA Equality and Diversity Policy
The Amateur Swimming Association and its subsidiaries are fully committed to the principles and practice of equality of opportunity in all its functions: as an employer, membership organisation, awarding body, in its training and development of teachers and coaches; involvement with officials and administrators; as an advisor to swimming pool designers and operators and as a facilitator of the aquatic disciplines by all its members.
- Download the full ASA Equality and Diversity Policy here
Equality Standards for Sport Guidance
The Equality Standard: A Framework for Sport (the Standard) was launched by the UK sports councils in November 2004 to help address the inequalities that exist within the sports sector. It is a framework to guide sports organisations, including: governing bodies of sport, county sports partnerships (CSPs), sports councils and national sports organisations towards achieving equality.
- To view the Equality Standards for Sport: Guidance for Sport Organisations document click here
Sports Council Equality Group
Sports Council Equality Group (SCEG) consists of the relevant officers from all the Sports Councils (Sport England, Sport Northern Ireland, Sport Scotland, Sport Wales and UK Sport) and aims to promote and develop equality in sport across all the equality strands.
- To view more about the Sports Council Equality Group click here
- For Sports Council Equality Group supporting documents click here
Resources for Clubs
- Visit the English Federation of Disability Sport's Inclusion Club Hub designed to help clubs to include more disabled people in their activities
- The ASA has prepared short guide to Encouraging New Disability Swimmers in your Club.
Resources for Providers
- The ASA is currently producing a series of Equality and Diversity Toolkits, designed to support providers with making their facilities more accessible to a wider range of audiences. The toolkits provide advice around the barriers and motivations for specific audiences, along with tips on how to address them, as well as guidance around marketing and communication and the best ways to influence participation.
- Each toolkit focuses on a different Equality and Diversity population and all toolkits are based on a tried and tested best practise case study, and they all contain an overall fact sheet for the particular audience it focuses on.
- These toolkits can be accessed via the ASA Partnerzone for PPP customers.
- Alternatively, speak to your local Aquatic Officer and they will be able to support you. Or contact the ASA Equality and Diversity Programme Manager: ASAEquality@swimming.org / 01509 640472
Additional Support Documents
- View Swimwear and Equality: a guidance note for information about swimwear and equality for competitions
- Charter for Action: A useful Communication Toolkit for clubs signing up to the Charter for Action, tackling homophobia and transphobia in sport.
- View the EFDS Access for all: Inclusive Communications guide here
- The ASA has recently worked with The National Deaf Children’s Society in putting together a new resource Deaf Friendly Swimming, for swimming teachers, coaches and parents to help teach deaf children to swim. The National Deaf Children’s Society have also created a British Sign Language for Sport library including swimming, To view click here
- British Disability has prepared a new Toolkit to assist teachers and coaches in identifying talented disability swimmers.
- Disability swimming has put together an excellent resource on the inclusion of swimmers with a disability. Although written prior to the Equality Act 2010, the resource continues to be provide practical guidance for teachers, coaches and clubs.
- For a list of religious holidays, events and festivals click here
Latest News and Newsletters
- For Equality and Diversity news from the ASA click here
- Click here for the latest information packed edition of the Equality – Focus on Sport Newsletter, produced by Vaga Associates.
- Subscribe to English Federation of Disability Sport (EFDS) enewsletter here
- Women in Sport: Subscribe to Women in Sport’s e-zine here
- To sign up to the Sport England newsletter click here
- Women in Sport
- English Federation of Disability Sport (EFDS)
- This Girl Can
- Sporting Equals
- Street Games
- Pride Sports
- Gendered Intelligence