swim21 Athlete Development (teaching, performance, skill and competitive development)
The following information can be used to complement the teaching, performance, skill and competitive modules of athlete development (although not all will apply to each area):
- The Register of Qualifications & CPD Courses, a swim21 template to help you record teachers/coaches development.
- Swimmer Monitoring Sheet, a swim21 template to help swimmers monitor their progress each month, which should be used in conjunction with the Monitoring Sheet guidance notes.
- The ASA swim21 Training Log Book, which is a log book for swimmers covering areas such as goal setting, personal bests and training schedules. A front cover can also be downloaded.
Information to aid swimmers
- Access the ASA Medication Declaration Form, which should be completed by anyone that is representing Great Britain or their Home Country internationally or competing in a British Swimming, ASA, SASA or WASA National event to declaire medication.
- Nutritional Information for Age, Youth and Performance Level swimmers produced by Gill Horgan RD ASD, Consultant Nutritionist for British Swimming.
- Details on the Land Training Booklet and CD Rom, a structured, progressive and coherent programme of strength and conditioning for swimming.*
- Guidance notes on using a 12 competitions a year training programme which plans for two peaks (tapers) per year.
- Guidance notes on the 7x200m StepTest Quick Start Guide, a test used to provide information on the aerobic status of the swimmer.
- The 7x200m Test Result Pro Forma, for tester's of swimmers performance.
Information for teachers and coaches
- Find all the details you need on the ASA Teacher/Coach Licensing Scheme, including the ASA Licensing Application Form.
- Discover the UKCC qualifications available for teachers and coaches.
- The ASA's "Success is Long Term: Long-Term Athlete Development related to the journey through Swimming" document, which outlines the principles behind training and competition for young swimmers. There is also A Shorter Guide To LTAD which supports this document and a LTAD for Diving document and a LTAD plan for Disability Swimming.
- Additional advice on the Teaching and Coaching of Swimmers with a Disability.
- Details on the classification of disabled athletes.
- Read more about British Swimming Anti Doping Rules 2010.
- Guidance notes on using Coaching Models, (the model on which a Coach bases his/her programme).
*Strength & Conditioning sessions should be supervised by a qualified ASA/UKCC Coach or holder of a recognised qualification in the field of Strength and Conditioning.