Set up a new club
On this page you will find details of how to set up a new ASA affiliated club and the benefits of affiliating to the ASA.
Why affiliate your aquatic club?
The ASA have 1,151 affiliated clubs across the four aquatic disciplines - swimming, water polo, synchronised swimming and diving. Every club is unique in its focus and offer, but affiliating to the ASA can unlock many additional opportunities for your members.
By affiliating your club to the ASA, all members will receive:
- Insurance cover (which includes civil liability, personal accident and legal advice)
- Opportunities to utilise training, licensing and CPD gained by teachers and coaches
- Benefit from club-related initiatives such as swim21 and AASE
- A structured competitive pathway, from open competitions through to county, regional and national competitions, and in some cases leading to international competition at junior and senior level
- Access to the ASA-employed clubs team through regional offices to help your club and its members achieve your full potential
How to affiliate your club to the ASA
Stage 1 - Forming a Committee
- The ASA Handbook states that: 'a club must compromise a group of people who join together for the common purpose of taking part in swimming realted activities and must be organised and managed on a democratic basis.'
- The group of people must include: Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and welfare officer but can add additional role holder where appropriate, i.e membership secretary, competion secreatry, fundraisinfg officer etc.
Stage 2 - Choosing a Name
- The name of a club should include some reference to the club's normal area of activity and location but must not have a similar name to, or which could be confused with, another club in existence.
Stage 3 - Adopting a Constitution
- The club shall adopt a constitution modelled on the ASA recommended club constitution and be approved by the ASA region.
- The ASA model constitution can be found here
Stage 4 - Affiliating your Club
- In order to affiliate to the ASA, a club is required to contact their ASA regional office. They will send you all the relevant documentation to complete the affiliation process and will be able to answer any queries you may have.
- To locate your ASA regional office please click here