Community projects receive Swimathon funding
8 August 2013
Pools and community groups have started to receive funding for a variety of fantastic community projects up and down the country through the Swimathon Community Grants Scheme.
The grants scheme offers funding to organisations and individuals who provide and promote swimming in their local community and encourage more people to take part in swimming. Grants from £300 to £2,500 have been awarded so far, including:
Staying Afloat in Belfast, Northern Ireland which works with young parents aged 16-24 who are classified as not in education, employment or training (NEET). In conjunction with a ‘healthy minds’ programme, the pool wants to engage and encourage young parents to participate in a programme designed to increase fitness and swimming skills.
Summer Swim Fun! in Battersea, London helps to increase the confidence of children and young people in the pool over the course of their summer holidays. The pool plans to target sessions for girls and teenagers from ethnic minority backgrounds.
Banishing Aqua Fears Yes You Can!, in the Isle of Islay, Scotland is trying to break down the barriers to swimming by introducing new people to the activity. Community Open Days are held to invite existing swimmers, family and friends to use the facilities on the condition that they bring a family member or friend who has not used the pool before.
The full list of Swimathon Community Grants beneficiaries and participating pools are as follows:
- Swimfit, Bitterne Leisure Centre, Southampton, Hampshire
- Staying Afloat, Andersons Town Leisure Centre, Belfast, County Antrim
- Benbradagh Dash for a Splash, Templemore Sports Complex, Derry, County Derry
- Braintree Mencap Swimmers, Bramston Sports Centre, Braintree, Essex
- Caterpillars Can!, Kingsway Leisure Centre, St Helens, Cheshire
- Drumahoe Out of Schools Summer Scheme, Templemore Sports Complex, Derry, County Derry
- Banishing Aqua Fears Yes You Can!, Abbey Fields Swimming Pool, Bowmore, Argyll
- Fun 2 B Fit Swimming, Templemore Sports Complex, Derry, County Derry
- Fawdon Swimming Sharks, Gosforth Swimming Pool, Fawdon, Tyne and Wear
- Northwood Never Too Old to Make a Splash, Sir James Altham Swimming Pool, Northwood, Middlesex
- Panathlon Challenge, Crown Pools, Stansted, Essex
- Purley Babes, Willink Leisure Centre, Reading, Berkshire
- Taking the Plunge, Orchard Leisure Centre, Lisnakea, County Fermanagh
- Summer Swim Fun!, Latchmere Leisure Centre, Battersea, London
- S.P.L.A.S.H. Swimming Programme to Learn Aquatic Skills in Harwich, Dovercourt Swimming Pool, Harwich, Essex
- Water Babes, Templemore Sports Complex, Derry, County Derry
- Swim n Learn, Falls Leisure Centre, Belfast, County Antrim
- Swimfit, Applemore Health & Leisure Centre, Southampton, Hampshire
The Swimathon Foundation, Swimathon Community Grants scheme works in partnership with and is administered by British Swimming and The Swimming Trust.
All pools involved in grant applications from The Swimathon Community Grants Scheme must have participated in Swimathon. Swimathon 2013 has raised over £2.4m for Marie Curie Cancer Care. To register your interest for the 2014 Swimathon click here.