England beat New Zealand for second successive win

7 April 2014

England Men beat New Zealand 10-5 in their second match of the Commonwealth Water Polo Championships.

England got off to a shaky start with New Zealand's Adam Pye and Matt Lewis each scoring within the first three minutes and Ciaran James missing a penalty.

But affter the first time-out in the match, England started to find a rhythm and after a string of passes around the New Zealand goal the ball fell to Tom Curwen who fired home from the left.

England had enough time for an equaliser from Jake Vincent just before the end of the quarter.

After the break England started to show their class scoring four successive goals. But an injury to Ed Scott forced the goalkeeper off.

New Zealand's only score in the quarter came via an excellent goal from Eamon Lui who scored from eight metres out into the top corner.

England's Jack Waller replied bouncing his effort in from the left to give his team a 7-3 lead at halftime.

In a very tight third quarter New Zealand had opportunities to reduce the deficit but found replacement goalkeeper Matthew King in excellent form.

James helped to increase England's lead with a quickfire double midway through the half, both goals finding the top right corner.

Another goal for Vincent meant the English went into the third quarter break with an almost unassailable 10-4 lead.

New Zealand needed some momentum going into the final quarter and they got that as Matt Lewis bounced in from distance.

It looked set for an exciting end as Eamon Lui was fouled by Matt Holland and was awarded a penalty but Lui couldn’t capitalise and his shot was saved.

England's 10-5 (2-2,5-1,3-1,0-1) victory gave them their second successive win of the tournament. They next play Wales at 14.30 tomorrow (Tuesday).

IoS Training For Level 2 Teaching Qualifications Purchase today Sign up to the ASA School Swimming Charter. We're taking swimming seriously, are you? Baby Swimming Lesson Guidelines - Parents