National Young Coaches Academy seeks aspiring performance coaches
20 August 2012
Are you an active young coach? Do you know what type of coach you are? Do you want to learn more about coaching in an elite environment?
Young coaches are encouraged to apply to be part of the Youth Sport Trust National Young Coaches Academy, a 12 month development programme of mentoring and support developed in partnership with the ASA.
Apply to become one of 20 young coaches to attend the Academy where you will be provided with the opportunity to focus on yourself as a coach, consider what type of coach you want to be and understand how you can value and motivate participants. You will then enter onto a 12 month development programme where the ASA will provide further mentoring and sport specific development opportunities within your aquatic discipline to ensure you can become the coach you want to be.
Megan Crombie attended this years Academy.
"The NYCA is an experience not to be missed! As well as meeting other coaches and learning new coaching styles, it gives you the opportunity to portray your own style of coaching and helps you develop your own skills and learn new ones. I would highly recommend this academy to any young person who wants to give something back to their clubs and help others to participate in sport. It is an inspiring experience to meet the athletes, volunteers, other coaches and sporting legends."
The academy programme will commence in January 2013 and coaches will be supported through to January 2014 with the following development opportunities:
- Attendance at the Youth Sports Trust National Young Coaches Academy 4-6th January 2013 in Loughborough
- Mentor training support
- NYCA Development Day
- Invited to attend England Talent Programme activities as appropriate, including attendance at relevant development days/camps and Regional Beacon Programme training and activities
- Coach Development Session at the British Championships, March 2013
- 4 e-Learning Stroke CPDS
If you are successful we will ask you to nominate a mentor to support you through the programme. Mentors will receive dedicated guidance to support you through the programme and together you will create a personal development plan to measure and monitor your success.
Applications are now open and the ASA welcomes all eligible young coaches to apply. Applications can be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to Volunteering Department, ASA, Sportpark, Pavilion 3, 3 Oakwood Drive, Loughborough, LE11 3QF.
Closing Date for Applications: Sunday 30th September 2012
Note that applications will be assessed against the selection criteria below and successful coaches will be contacted by Friday 5th October 2012. For any queries please contact us at email@example.com or 01509 640457.
- Aged 16 to 19 years old
- Member of an ASA Club working towards or accredited with swim21
- Have a minimum of a UKCC Level 1 Aquatics qualification
- Experience of actively coaching within a club environment
- Have good communication and organisation skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to inspire young people
- Compassionate and open
- Motivated to pass on their knowledge to others
- Committed to personal development and continued learning
- Evidence of support from Head Coach and mentoring support
- Available to attend the Coaching Academy 4-6th January 2013 in Loughborough
- Committed to the programme and club opportunities until January 2014