The Duckling Awards
The Duckling Awards are designed to help children over the age of 18 months explore and enjoy the fun of learning to swim. They can help you shape your swimming lessons by giving set outcomes and provide a foundation level for the ASA Learn to Swim Framework.
Each grade of the Duckling Awards contains six components that must be passed before the Award is given but the outcomes may be accumulated over a number of sessions. These are:
Duckling Grade 1
Duckling Grade 2
Duckling Grade 3
Duckling Grade 4
1. Jump unaided, but supervised, into the water
2. Submerge completely
3. Rotate through 360° either horizontally or vertically
4. Show a mushroom OR a star float
5. Travel without assistance 10 metres on the front OR back
6. Climb out of the water with assistance if required
Duckling Grade 5 (without the use of buoyany aids or adult support)
Don't forget a child who can complete all of these outcomes is eligible for the Kellogg's ASA Duckling Awards for the appropriate stages.
You might also like to consider using the Kellogg's ASA Rainbow Distance Award 5m to supplement achievement at Duckling Grade 5.
"Bath time" is a great game to use at this stage as it encourages your pupiils to get their face wet.
The teacher should lead by suggesting actions that might happen at bath time. For example,
- Wash off the soap: splash water over the face
- Wet your hair: sprinkle water using hands to rub in the shampoo
- Rinse the shampoo off: head in the water and shake it from side to side
Tips for Duckling Awards
If children in your lessons are proving shy/timid or they have a disability consider providing smaller stepping stones for developing confidence. The Kellogg's ASA Alpha Step Awards reward the development of the early stages of buoyancy, coordination, spatial awareness, breathing, and entering and leaving the pool.