Once a swimmer has reached Level 7 of the ASA Learn to Swim Framework it is recommended that they are then encouraged to take part in different aquatic disciplines to develop their fundamental sports skills. Stages 8,9 and 10 of the Framework for synchronised swimming are known as the AquaFun programme.
Stage 8 outcomes
By the end of AquaFun Stage 8 (Synchro) of the ASA Aquatic Skills Framework your pupils should have reached eight outcomes:
- Demonstrate a stationary floating position with good body extension and controlled start and finish.
- Demonstrate counting to music using two different tempos.
- Swim 5m using Synchro backstroke, then 5m with a variation.
- Swim 5m Synchro breastroke, then 5m with a variation.
- In back layout scull continuously 3m head first and return travelling feet first.
- Using a buoyancy aid perform a back layout before finishing in the bent knee position.
- Perform Tub.
- Perform a 45 seconds - 1min sequence to music, using a variety of skills learnt previously and in NPTS Stage 7.
Stage 9 outcomes
By the end of AquaFun Stage 9 (Synchro) of the ASA Learn to Swim Framework your pupils should have reached 8 outcomes relating to starts:
- Swim 5m Synchro breaststroke then 5m backstroke using a smooth transition.
- Move from back layout to bent knee, then lift to ballet leg using buoyancy aid/use pool to support horizontal leg.
- Hold a pike position using buoyancy aid.
- Perform back tuck somersault.
- Perform oyster.
- Perform eggbeater travelling 3m return in opposite direction creating an arm movement.
- Perform a feet first entry with arms extended by ears throughout.
- Perform a sequence lasting 45 seconds - 1 minute to music, and include one stroke (or arm variation) and one figure from the above or NPTS Stage 8.
Stage 10 outcomes
By the end of AquaFun Stage 10 (Synchro) of the ASA Learn to Swim Framework your pupils should have reached seven outcomes relating to relay takeovers:
- Swim 10m using two Synchro strokes with smooth transition, synchronised with a partner. Music may be used.
- Perform eggbeater into side flutter kick and back to eggbeater lifting one arm out the water.
- Using a buoyancy aid, hold either inverted crane, bent knee or split position for 5 seconds.
- Demonstrate support scull standing on bottom of the pool.
- Travelling head first, back layout to bent knee and return to back layout - 5m.
- Perform Marlin (¼ turn).
- Demonstrate a head first entry, return to the surface demonstrating eggbeater.
- Perform a sequence for 45 seconds - 1 minute, to music with a partner or in groups, starting with feet first entry.
Tips for AquaFun Stages 8, 9 and 10
To assist with the delivery of stages 8, 9 and 10 the ASA has developed ASA Learn to Swim Framework CPDs specific to each discipline and it is recommended teachers delivering these levels attend the appropriate CPDs.
The ASA also encourages partnership working with ASA swim21 Accredited clubs in the relevant disciplines to support delivery and to provide structured exit routes for swimmers.
If you are looking for the most relevant information about how to deliver the framework then make sure you read the Teacher's Complete Framework, while theiosonline offers the most up-to-date training around the framework.