Swimmers confirmed for TeamGB
10th March 2012
The British Olympic Association (BOA) confirmed today that 38 swimmers have been officially selected to Team GB for the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The 19 male and 19 female swimmers achieved their places on Team GB by securing the FINA ‘A’ or top 16 world ranked qualifying standard and finishing in the top two places at this week’s British Gas Swimming Championships at the London Aquatics Centre.
Team GB enjoys a proud tradition in Olympic swimming competition and I’m sure the class of 2012 will produce some thrilling moments in the Olympic competition this summer.
The athletes were formally nominated to the BOA by British Swimming, which is the National Governing Body for swimming in the UK.
British swimmers have an excellent tradition of success in Olympic competition, having won 65 medals – 15 gold, 22 silver and 28 bronze. This includes a hat-trick of gold medals won by Britain’s Henry Taylor at the London 1908 Olympic Games.
At the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, Team GB swimmers won three medals in the pool: Rebecca Adlington won gold in the 400m freestyle and 800m freestyle and Joanne Jackson won bronze in the 400m freestyle. Team GB also won three medals in the open water 10km events.
Team GB Chef de Mission Andy Hunt said: “I am thrilled to welcome a total of 38 swimmers to Team GB. The remarkable strength and depth of British talent within the sport of swimming has been on display throughout the past week in the London 2012 Aquatics Centre.
"Team GB enjoys a proud tradition in Olympic swimming competition and I’m sure the class of 2012 will produce some thrilling moments in the Olympic competition this summer.
“Many of the swimmers selected to Team GB today have enjoyed success at European, Commonwealth and World level, and I am sure they will be looking to translate their form on to the Olympic stage where they will be encouraged by the support of a passionate and enthusiastic home crowd."
Michael Scott, Team GB Swimming Team Leader and British Swimming National Performance Director added: “This GB swimming team is a real mix of tried and tested experienced former Olympians together with an exciting crop of talented youngsters who will sample their first Olympics in London.
“This week has seen some impressive performances at the national championships but our job is far from done. Collectively we now have the time and opportunity to improve upon the performances this week to make sure we are as competitive as possible for when the rest of the world arrives in London in July.”
The 38 swimmers selected for TeamGB on March 10 - Women:
- Rebecca Adlington (Nova Centurion, 400m & 800m freestyle)
- Sophie Allen (Stockport ITC, 200m individual medley)
- Georgia Davies (Swansea ITC, 100m backstroke)
- Eleanor Faulkner (City of Sheffield, 800m freestyle, 4x200m freestyle)
- Ellen Gandy (Nunawading, 100m & 200m butterfly)
- Fran Halsall (Loughborough ITC, 100m butterfly, 100m freestyle, 50m freestyle)
- Kate Haywood (Nunawading, 100m breaststroke)
- Joanne Jackson (Loughborough ITC, 400m freestyle, 4x200m freestyle)
- Jemma Lowe (Swansea ITC, 200m butterfly)
- Jessica Lloyd (City of Manchester, 4x100 freestyle)
- Caitlin McClatchey (Loughborough University, 4x200m freestyle)
- Hannah Miley (Garioch, 200m & 400m individual medley)
- Keri-anne Payne (Stockport ITC, 10km open water)
- Elizabeth Simmonds (Loughborough ITC, 200m backstroke)
- Amy Smith (Loughborough University, 100m freestyle, 50m freestyle)
- Gemma Spofforth (Florida Gators, 100m backstroke)
- Stacey Tadd (University of Bath, 200m breaststroke)
- Rebecca Turner (City of Sheffield, 200m freestyle, 4x100m freestyle)
- Aimee Willmott (Middlesbrough, 400m individual medley)
- Robert Bale, (Stirling ITC, 4x200m freestyle)
- Craig Benson (Warrender, 100m breaststroke)
- Adam Brown (Hatfield, 4x100m freestyle)
- Simon Burnett (Tuscon, 4x100m freestyle)
- Ross Davenport (Loughborough ITC, 4x200m freestyle)
- David Davies (City of Cardiff, 1500m freestyle)
- James Disney-May (Auburn, 4x100m freestyle)
- Daniel Fogg (Loughborough ITC, 1500m freestyle)
- Craig Gibbons (Maxwell, 4x100m freestyle)
- James Goddard (Stockport ITC, 200m individual medley)
- Michael Jamieson (Bath ITC, 200m breaststroke)
- Ieuan Lloyd (City of Cardiff, 4x200m freestyle)
- Roberto Pavoni (Loughborough ITC, 400m individual medley, 200m butterfly),
- Robbie Renwick (City of Glasgow, 200m & 400m freestyle)
- Michael Rock (Stockport ITC, 100m butterfly),
- Joe Roebuck (Loughborough University, 200m & 400m individual medley, 200m butterfly),
- Daniel Sliwinski (Stockport ITC, 100m breaststroke),
- Liam Tancock (Loughborough ITC, 100m backstroke),
- Andrew Willis (Bath ITC, 200m breaststroke).