Brits thwarted by ruthless Hungary

Share this page

4th August 2012

Team GB men’s water polo team slipped to defeat in their fourth match of London 2012 against defending champions Hungary.

Having lost two of their opening three matches, the Hungarians – gold medallists at the past three Games – were in ruthless mood and saw out a 17 – 6 victory.

We have delivered what we promised - that we will keep fighting and keep up with the top teams.

Gergely Kiss, Tamas Kasas and Peter Biros – three legends of the game – all saw plenty of water time for the Hungarians as they looked to prove they are a force to be reckoned with in London.

While the Brits had pushed Hungary all the way before losing 13-8 in July’s warm-up Dublin Cup tournament, they found their opponents an altogether different prospect at the Games.

And with a spot in the quarter finals now gone, Team GB head coach Cristian Iordache was adamant he couldn't have asked for more from his players at the Games.

"We have delivered what we promised - that we will keep fighting and keep up with the top teams," said Iordache.

"I have enjoyed this tournament so much together with my players and it was a great experience. I'm very proud of my players."

Hungary started the better, putting home a penalty, two goals on man-up, an outside shot and a goal on the counter to establish a first quarter 5-0 lead.

Adam Scholefield – who plays domestically in Hungary for PVSK Fuszert – pulled one back for the Brits, getting the wrong side of his marker before scooping his shot past the onrushing Hungarian goalkeeper.

But while Matt Holland was impressing in goal for the Brits, putting his body on the line and even saving once with his head, the Hungarian onslaught was relentless and they added one more goal to lead 6-1 after the first quarter.

The Brits found their range in the second quarter and started to find a way past the steadfast Hungarian defence.

Ciaran James and Jake Vincent both scored on the man-up before Rob Parker fired home an outside shot and Alex Parsonage sent a pinpoint lob into the corner.

But while they were less firm at the back, the Hungarians remained a constant threat in attack and scored another five themselves to establish an 11-5 lead at half-time.

Hungary shut up shop in the third quarter, securing a clean sheet and adding four more goals to take the score to 15-5.

GB captain Craig Figes scored his first of the game with an outside shot into the bottom corner to start the second quarter but the Hungarians quickly re-established their 10-goal advantage.

The match fizzled out somewhat in the final eight minutes but Hungary added one more strike in the last 30 seconds to round off the win.

Related Articles


© 2016 British Swimming & The ASA. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy