British Swimming’s World Class Diving programmes and Selection Policy
The UK Sport funded World Class Performance programme seeks to maximise talented athletes’ chances of bringing home gold.
Winning medals on the international sporting stage is incredibly tough and the margins between success and failure become smaller with each passing year. To ensure the UK’s most talented athletes maximise their chances UK Sport has devised a three-level system:
- Podium – this supports athletes with realistic medal winning capabilities at the next Olympic Games (i.e. a maximum of four years away from the podium)
- Development – this comprises athletes whose performances have suggested that they have realistic medal winning capabilities for 2016 and newly funded sports that are demonstrating the ability to be competitive by 2016
- Talent – this is designed to support the identification and confirmation of athletes who have the potential to progress through the World Class pathway with the help of targeted investment
Each sport’s Performance Programme is overseen by a Performance Director whose job it is to coordinate all the back-up athletes require to deliver on their potential.
This could include world class coaches, sports science and medicine support, warm weather training and acclimatisation, international competition schedules, athlete development programmes, and access to appropriate training facilities.
- Click here to read about UK Sport's World Class Events programme.
2013 Selection Policy
- Click here to download the Diving National Selection Policy 2013
- Click here to download the Diving Junior Selection Policy 2013
- British Swimming's The Athlete Highway is designed to show you how athletes can work towards joining a World Class programme. Download the document here.
Athlete Funding Selection Information
- British Swimming's Funding and Programmes Classification document explains the different funding levels that can be accessed. To download it click here.