Swimmers close British Masters champs 2014 in style
15 June 2014
In a meet which has seen four European Records and 42 British Records fall, the British Masters swimmers stepped up to the plate once again, adding another 18 records to the count on the final day of the British Gas Masters and Senior Age Group Championships 2014.
Kicking off the final session of the competition, Otter paved the way in the Women’s 120yrs+ 4x100m Freestyle team, clocking 4:12.18 en route to victory.
The four-strong team of Gina Hobson, Alexis Higlett, Olivia Reynolds and Laure Kearns each ducked under 1:05 for their respective legs to finish under the previous European Masters benchmark.
Long Eaton’s Helen Gorman also closed her 2014 British Masters campaign in style, securing her fourth British Masters record of the meet.
The 40-44yrs age group swimmer added to her ever growing record tally with the Women’s 100m Breaststroke, where she pulled ahead of the field to touch in an impressive 1:15.58 – just under a second inside her entry time.
The final event of the meet saw the athletes take to the water in the 800m Freestyle, but post-event fatigue didn’t seem to faze as a further three records tumbled.
Andrew Chamberlain (8:51.28), Vicki Linton-Crooke (10:49.74) and Matthew Breckon (8:34.38) all stepped up to take new British Masters records in the 40-44yrs, 50-54yrs and 17-24yrs age groups respectively.
See below for the full list of record honours:
- Gina Hobson, Alexis Higlett, Olivia Reynolds and Laure Kearns (120yrs+ Women’s 400m Freestyle team) – Otter
- Graeme Milne (60-64yrs 50m Butterfly) – St Austell
- Elizabeth Bellinger (35-39yrs 50m Butterfly) – Out to Swim
- Helen Gorman (40-44yrs 100m Breaststroke) – Long Eaton
- Lucy Spencer, Elizabeth Bishop, Ruth Leong-Scanlan and Robyn Le Friec (72yrs+ Women’s 800m Freestyle team) – Warwick University
- Karen Driver, Sandra Jones, Jessica Wooddise and Nicola Latty (160yrs+ Women’s 800m Freestyle team) – Sub 160
- Caryn Kiellor, Rhian Andrews, Clare Parry and Allie Price (200yrs+ Women’s 800m Freestyle team) – Cardiff Masters
- Jennifer Bonson, Lucy Spencer, Robyn Le Friec and Ruth Leong-Scanlan (72yrs+ Women’s 400m Freestyle team) – Warwick University
- Masai Zebechaka (35-39yrs 50m Backstroke) – Devonport
- Michael Hodgson (45-49yrs 50m Backstroke) – Guildford
- Alan Jackson (75-79yrs 50m Backstroke) – Birmingham Masters
- Yolanda Speare (17-24yrs 50m Backstroke) – Witney
- Michelle Ware (40-44yrs 50m Backstroke) – Guildford
- Liz Cosgrave (55-49yrs 50m Backstroke) – Trojan
- Andrew Chamberlain (40-44yrs 800m Freestyle) – Spencer
- Vicki Linton-Crooke (50-54yrs 800m Freestyle) – Camp Hill
- Matthew Breckon (17-24yrs 800m Freestyle) – Epsom Dist