British Swimming announces World Championships team
1 July 2013
British Swimming Head Coach Bill Furniss has described the national team bound for this month’s FINA World Championships in Barcelona as one that is focused on current form and Olympic events.
I feel it is a very focused team and a team focused around Olympic events and current form. - Bill Furniss.Twenty-seven athletes have been formally selected to the British Gas GBR Swimming Team following the national championships in Sheffield last week.
“This is British Swimming’s new philosophy following London and the clear message that came back from UK Sport in terms of a focus requirement on Olympic events.
“Generally, there is a good mix of experience and up and coming talent which is important as we look forward. For the younger athletes they will be able to learn a great deal from both the event itself as well as their more experienced team mates.
“I believe this tighter focus for the team will give us every chance to succeed at the World Championships," said Furniss.
Olympic silver medallist Michael Jamieson (British Gas ITC Bath) will lead the challenge for the men while highly world ranked distance freestyler Jazz Carlin (British Gas ITC Swansea) heads-up the women’s contingent.
The team also features a number of athletes who have qualified for their first major senior national team. The likes of Ross Murdoch (British Gas ITC Stirling), Ben Proud (Plymouth Leander) and Lauren Quigley (Stockport Metro) will all make their World Championship debut’s when the action gets underway in Barcelona on 28th July.
For Jamieson the prospect of the World Championships, after a difficult preparation for the national championships, is an exciting one.
“I was surprised by my swims at the nationals after a couple of ropey months leading into Sheffield,” said the Scot. “But those performances have given me renewed confidence for the World Championships.
“It’s a very different approach for Britain’s swimmers this year with the trials coming so close to the World Championships but overall I’m pleased with the progress made.
“I now have a training camp where I’ll work on my final preparations and I’m looking forward to challenging for a sub 2:07.00 time in Barcelona," he said.
The British Gas GBR Swimming Team
- Adam Brown - Hatfield/Auburn
- Daniel Fogg - British Gas ITC Loughborough
- James Guy - Millfield
- Michael Jamieson - British Gas ITC Bath
- Ieuan Lloyd - City of Cardiff
- Craig McNally - Warrender
- Ross Murdoch - British Gas ITC Stirling
- Roberto Pavoni - British Gas ITC Loughborough
- Ben Proud - Plymouth Leander
- Robbie Renwick City of Glasgow
- Michael Rock City of Liverpool
- Jak Scott British Gas ITC Stirling
- Chris Walker-Hebborn British Gas ITC Bath
- Daniel Wallace - Warrender
- Josh Walsh - British Gas ITC Stirling
- Andrew Willis - British Gas ITC Bath
- Sophie Allen - British Gas ITC Bath
- Jazmin Carlin - British Gas ITC Swansea
- Georgia Davies - British Gas ITC Swansea
- Eleanor Faulkner - City of Sheffield
- Francesca Halsall - British Gas ITC Loughborough
- Jemma Lowe - British Gas ITC Swansea
- Siobhan-Marie O’Connor - British Gas ITC Bath
- Hannah Miley - Garioch
- Lauren Quigley - Stockport Metro
- Amy Smith - British Gas ITC Loughborough
- Aimee Willmott - Middlesbrough
The FINA World Championships take place in Barcelona, Spain between 19 July – 4 August.
- Swimming takes place between Sunday 28th July – Sunday 4th August
- Diving takes place between Saturday 20th – Sunday 28th July
- Synchro takes place between Saturday 20th – Saturday 27th July
- Open Water takes place between Saturday 20th – Saturday 27th July
- Women’s Water Polo takes place between Sunday 21st July – Friday 2nd August