Golden night for Carlin, Taylor and Hynd in Glasgow
28 July 2014
Jazz Carlin won Wales’ first gold medal in the pool with a brilliant performance in the 800m Freestyle on the penultimate night of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.
The 23-year old eased to victory touching in a Commonwealth Games and Welsh record 8:18.11 to finish more than two seconds ahead of New Zealand’s Lauren Boyle (8:20.50).
Sophie Taylor also secured her first Commonwealth Games gold medal with a fast final 25m in the 100m Breaststroke to touch in a British record 1:06.35.
Paralympic and IPC World champion Ollie Hynd dominated the SM8 200m Individual Medley to win the title in 2:22.86 and complete his 200IM gold medal set.
Willmott clocked 2:08.07 for silver in the 200m Butterfly behind Audrey Lacroix of Canada (2:07.61). In the 50m Breaststroke Peaty touched 0.02 seconds behind World record holder Cameron Van der Burgh to take silver in the 50m Breaststroke in 26.78. And Barrett posted a 51.93 PB to win bronze in the 100m Butterfly.
British medallists on day five in Glasgow
- Jazz Carlin (Wales) – 800m Freestyle – 8:18.11 (NR)
- Ollie Hynd (England) – SM8 200m Individual Medley – 2:22.86
- Sophie Taylor (England) – 100m Breaststroke – 1:06.35 (BR)
- Aimee Willmott (England) – 200m Butterfly – 2:08.07
- Adam Peaty (England) – 50m Breaststroke – 26.78 (BR)
- Adam Barrett (England) – 100m Butterfly – 51.93