Davies and Proud win gold on final day in Glasgow
29 July 2014
Davies posted a 27.56 British record in the 50m Backstroke to win gold ahead of Lauren Quigley in an English record 27.69.
In the 50m Freestyle Proud saw off Australian Cameron McEvoy to touch in 21.92 and complete the sprint double.
England’s 4x100m Medley Relay teams had a great night with the men’s team of Chris Walker-Hebborn (53.40), Adam Peaty (58.59), Adam Barrett (51.02) and Adam Brown (48.50) winning gold in 3:31.51 ahead of the Australian team (3:32.21), and the women’s team of Quigley (1:00.17), Sophie Taylor (1:06.39), Siobhan-Marie O’Connor (57.89) and Fran Halsall (52.58) taking silver (3:57.03).
Jazz Carlin secured Wales’ second medal of the evening clocking 4:05.16 in the 400m Freestyle for silver. Teammate Daniel Jervis then added a third with a ten second PB in the 1500m Freestyle to win bronze. The European Junior Champion had a great final 250m to touch ahead of Australian Jordan Harrison (14:55.71) in 14:55.33.
Also making the podium was Scotland’s Dan Wallace who won silver in the 200m Individual Medley in a Scottish record 1:58.72.
British medallists on day six in Glasgow
- Ben Proud (England) – 50m Freestyle – 21.92
- Georgia Davies (Wales) – 50m Backstroke – 27.56 (BR)
- Chris Walker-Hebborn, Adam Peaty, Adam Barrett, Adam Brown (England) - 4x100m Medley Relay – 3:31.51
- Jazmin Carlin (Wales) – 400m Freestyle – 4:05.16
- Lauren Quigley (England) - 50m Backstroke – 27.69 (NR)
- Daniel Wallace (Scotland) – 200m Individual Medley – 1:58.72 (NR)
- Lauren Quigley, Sophie Taylor, Siobhan-Marie O’Connor, Francesca Halsall (England) – 4x100m Medley Relay – 3:57.03 (NR)
- Daniel Jervis (Wales) – 1500m Freestyle – 14.55.33