Golden hat-trick for Brits in Glasgow
25 July 2014
Proud kicked off the evening with a British record 22.93 to take the touch in the 50m Butterfly before Walker-Hebborn secured England’s second gold with a personal best 53.12 in the 100m Backstroke, with teammate Liam Tancock touching joint third with Australia’s Josh Beaver for bronze in 53.75.
Wallace was just outside the British record 4:11.04 he set in the heats as he secured the 400m Individual Medley title in 4:11.20 for Scotland’s third gold of the competition.
Wallace's compatriot Corrie Scott won the home nation's only other medal of the night with 50m Breaststroke bronze in 30.75.
England’s Steph Slater set a European record 1:05.73 in the S8 100m Freestyle to take silver, just 0.41 seconds behind Australia’s Maddison Elliott’s world record time.
Siobhan-Marie O’Connor collected her third silver of the competition by swimming a lifetime best 57.45 in the 100m Butterfly before the men’s relay team added a final medal of the evening for England in the 4x100m Freestyle.
Adam Brown (49.47), James Disney-May (48.81), Adam Barrett (49.04) and Proud (49.05) clocked 3:16.37 to secure the bronze.
The Welsh team were also celebrating on day two as Calum Jarvis won their first medal in the pool with bronze in the 200m Freestyle, lowering his national record to 1:46.53 in the process.
British medallists on day two in Glasgow
- Ben Proud (England) – 50m Butterfly – 22.93 (BR)
- Dan Wallace (Scotland) – 400 Individual Medley – 4:11.20
- Chris Walker-Hebborn (England) – 100m Backstroke – 53.12
- Steph Slater (England) – S8 100m Freestyle – 1:05.73 (ER)
- Siobhan-Marie O’Connor (England) – 100m Butterfly – 57.45
- Corrie Scott (Scotland) – 50m Breaststroke – 30.75
- Calum Jarvis (Wales) – 200m Freestyle – 1:46.53 (NR)
- Liam Tancock (England) – 100m Backstroke – 53.75
- Adam Brown, James Disney-May, Adam Barrett, Ben Proud (England) – 4x100m Freestyle Relay – 3:16.37