Murdoch and Miley win gold on opening night of Glasgow 2014
24 July 2014
Murdoch starred in a world class 200m Breaststroke final, setting a British and Commonwealth record 2:07.30 to touch ahead of Olympic silver medallist and Scottish teammate Michael Jamieson (2:08.40) and England’s Andrew Willis, touching for his first major medal in 2:09.87.
Miley defended her Commonwealth title from four years ago in the 400m Individual Medley, touching in 4:31.76 ahead of England’s Aimee Willmott, touching in an English record 4:33.01 for silver.
Other British swimmers reaching the podium on the opening day were England’s Siobhan-Marie O’Connor, who set a personal best 1:55.82 for 200m Freestyle silver, and James Guy, who won 400m Freestyle bronze in a British record 3:44.58.
O’Connor (54.06) collected another silver at the close of the session, combining with Francesca Halsall (53.17), Amy Smith (53.88) and Rebecca Turner (54.61) to set a British record 3:35.72 for silver in the 4x100m Freestyle Relay.
Jazz Carlin was the top individual Welsh finisher of the night, lowering her Welsh record to 1:57.26 as she touched sixth in the 200m Freestyle final.
British medallists on day one in Glasgow
- Hannah Miley (Scotland) - 400m Individual Medley - 4:31.76
- Ross Murdoch (Scotland) - 200m Breaststroke - 2:07.30 (CR)
- Aimee Willmott (England) - 400m Individual Medley - 4:33.01 (NR)
- Siobhan-Marie O'Connor (England) - 200m Freestyle - 1:55.82
- Michael Jamieson (Scotland) - 200m Breaststroke - 2:08.40
- Siobhan-Marie O'Connor, Fran Halsall, Amy Smith, Rebecca Turner (England) - 4x100m Freestyle Relay - 3:35.72 (BR)
- James Guy (England) - 400m Freestyle - 3:44.58 (BR)
- Andrew Willis (England) - 200m Breaststroke - 2:09.87