Brits fall to Hungary in World Champs Opener
20 August 2013
The British Gas GBR Women’s Under 20 Water Polo team fell to the 2011 silver medallists Hungary on their opening match of the FINA World U20 Water Polo Championships in Volos, Greece.
The Brits faced an experienced Hungarian team which included five members from the recent senior World Championships and ultimately lost 13-5.
GB started the match well taking the initial lead through a goal from Katie Hestketh. Hungary responded to draw level and for much of the first quarter, it continued level. However GB lost a concentration for a period and conceded 3 quick goals and the quarter ended 4-1.
The second period was a similar 4-1 scoreline to Hungary, with GB’s goal scorer being Danielle Elliot and at the buzzer the score was 8-2.
It was the third period proved to be GB’s best as they matched Hungary at 3-all with goals from Ella Chadderton (2) and Lauren Tasker.
The Hungarians dominated the final quarter, scoring three unanswered goals with a final score of 13-5.
Whilst naturally disappointed at losing, the team had delivered a good performance against strong opposition. For significant periods of the match, they had matched the opposition and encouragingly GB scored 4 goals from man up situations as their attacking structure in this situation worked well.
Watching the game was National Performance Director, Graeme Thompson, who said “The girls fought well throughout the game. It is really important that they take that level of performance and build on it through the tournament, starting with the next game against Brazil”
The Brits face Brazil in their second round game.
(4-1, 4-1, 3-3, 3-0)
Ella Chadderton (2)
The British Gas GBR U20 Water Polo team
- Jade Smith (GK) – City of Manchester (Oldham)
- Claire Nixon - London Otter (Stafford)
- Katie Hesketh – City of Liverpool (Lancaster)
- Ella Chadderton – City of Manchester (Oldham)
- Sophie Gilbert - City of Liverpool (Birkenhead)
- Danielle Elliot - City of Coventry (Leicester)
- Courtney Dean – City of Liverpool (Warrington)
- Kate Thompson - (GK) Cardiff (Birkenhead)
- Honor Grimes – City of Manchester (Manchester)
- Rosie Huck – City of Manchester (Stockport)
- Lauren Tasker – Tilsley Water Polo (Liverpool)
- Brooke Tafazolli - London Otter (Sutton)
- Rhianne Oscroft - City of Coventry (Leamington Spa)