GBR in Georgia for water polo qualifiers
4th April 2013
The British Gas GBR Men’s Water Polo team have travelled to Georgia as they begin their campaign to qualify for the LEN European Water Polo Championships in 2014.
The squad were on a pre-tournament camp from March 24th before heading on to Tbilisi to play against Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic and hosts Georgia in their European qualification group.
We’ll be playing four games in three days but we will do our best, put in 100 per cent and hopefully come away with some good results.
The Brits kicked off their campaign on Thursday, falling 12-3 (3-0, 6-1, 1-0, 2-2) to Georgia before bouncing back with a 11-3 (3-1, 3-1, 4-0, 1-1) defeat of Poland on Friday.
The team followed that with a 17-4 victory over Czech Republic on Saturday and drew 5-5 (2-0, 1-1, 1-3, 1-1) with an experienced Slovakian team in their final game on Sunday to finish in third place overall.
- 4th April - Georgia 12 - 3 Great Britain (3-0, 6-1, 1-0, 2-2), (GB scorers: Curwen, Waller, Vincent)
- 5th April - Poland 3 - 11 Great Britain (1-3, 1-3, 0-4, 1-1), (GB scorers: Curwen 3, Figes 2, Waller 2, Parker 2, James, King)
- 6th April - Czech Republic 4 - 17 Great Britain (GB Scorers: Parker 4, Waller 3, Scholefield 3, James 2, King 2, Figes, O'Regan, Curwen)
- 7th April - Slovakia 5 - 5 Great Britain (0-2, 1-1, 3-1, 1-1) (GB Scorers: Waller 2, James, Curwen, Parker)
British Gas GBR Men's Water Polo Team at European Championship Qualifiers in Georgia
- Adam Scholefield (Leeds) – Rotherham Metro
- Craig Figes (Bristol) – Bristol
- Ciaran James (Lancaster) – Lancaster
- Edward Scott (Bolton) – City of Manchester
- Jack Waller (Enfield) - Invicta
- Jake Vincent (Solihull) – Solihull
- Matthew Holland (Carshalton) – Sutton and Cheam
- Robert Parker (Cheltenham) – Cheltenham
- Sean King (Farnborough) - Invicta
- Sean Ryder (Nottingham) – City of Manchester
- Joe O’Regan (Oldham)– City of Manchester
- Chris Armstrong (Doncaster) – City of Sheffield
- Tom Curwen (Lancaster) - Lancaster