Junior Men finish third in Istanbul
13th May 2013
The British Gas GBR Junior Men’s Water Polo team fell agonisingly short of reaching this summer’s European finals after a thrilling qualification group.
Playing four matches over three days in Istanbul last weekend, the British men bounced back from defeat to Russia in their opening match to put themselves on the cusp of qualification with back-to-back victories over Bulgaria and Switzerland.
But a final-day defeat to hosts Turkey saw them finish third in their group with just the top two – Russia and Turkey – progressing to September’s Finals tournament in Malta.
CLICK HERE to follow the thrills and spills of last weekend in the British team’s ‘Turkish Delight’ blog from the competition.
- Russia 11 - 6 Great Britain
- Bulgaria 3 - 8 Great Britain
- Great Britain 11 - 3 Switzerland
- Turkey 16 - 8 Great Britain
The British Gas GBR Junior Men's Team
- Thomas Grieve (Carlisle Aquatics)
- Lewis Jones (Carmarthen Water Polo Club)
- William Rayson (Carlisle Aquatics)
- Andrew Robinson (Carlisle Aquatics)
- Samuel Routledge (c) (Carlisle Aquatics)
- James Salt (Rochdale)
- Adam Toone (Tyldesley)
- Stephen Williams (Wallasey)
- Lewis Daly (City of Manchester)
- Jordan Elliot (Leicester)
- Dylan Green (Royton)
- Joel Leighton (City of Sheffield)
- Thomas Whiting (Newton Abbot)