Intensive Training Centres (ITCs)
A network of ITCs was established in 2008 to provide training facilities and services of a world class standard specifically to provide a fully integrated training programme at one location.
Key features of ITCs include:
- 50m pool based centres at British Swimming partner locations.
- Managed by a British Swimming appointed full time Head Coach and supported by a full time Senior or Assistant coach and SSSM services.
- Provision of fully integrated daily training environment including 25 hours of dedicated pool training per week (60% water time is allocated to long course training).
- Selected to provide the best possible living environment conducive to high performance training.
- Majority based on university campuses with a strong focus on performance sport.
- Offer athlete friendly study options and benefits such as sports courses, flexible study, stretch degrees, sports scholarships and athlete housing accommodation.
- Aim to give support to athletes to ensure they achieve an ideal lifestyle/performance balance.
Membership of an ITC is available to athletes identified as having the talent to medal at the next Olympic Games, athletes on the WCSP and athletes who, in the opinion of the ITC Head Coach, could help to raise the standard of the group through their contributions to the training environment.
The WCSP currently operate four ITCs:
- Bath ITC - based at the Sports Training Village at the University of Bath. Head Coach Dave McNulty supported by Assistant Coach Graeme Antwhistle. Click here for a factsheet about Bath ITC
- Loughborough ITC - based at Loughborough University with Senior Coach Kevin Renshaw. The British Swimming Sprint Squad is also based here led by James Gibson. Click here for a factsheet about Loughorough ITC.
- Stirling ITC - based at Stirling University with an integrated programme with Scottish Swimming's Stirling Performance Squad. Click here for a factsheet about Stirling ITC.
- Swansea ITC - Based at the Wales National Pool Swansea which adjoins Swansea University's sports complex. Led by Head Coach Bud McAllister. Click here for further information about Swansea ITC.
Between 2008 and 2012, there was also a fifth ITC based at Grand Central Pools in Stockport. Click here to read more about the review of the ITC network which took place following a reduction in funding for the Rio 2016 Olympic cycle.
If you're interested in applying for a place at an ITC, you will need to read these two documents.
- ITC Athlete Membership Document - details about applying for membership, the benefits of being a member, and how to terminate a membership of an ITC.
- Enquiry Form - fill in this form to apply for membership to an ITC