Find out more about the World Class Swimming Road to Rio Programme
It can take athletes years to develop the skills and competitive maturity required to win medals in the world’s toughest sporting arenas. In recognising this UK Sport’s approach to funding reflects that journey and works on the basis of an athlete pathway with three clear and distinct levels that make up the World Class Pathway.
Road to Rio
- Podium - supports athletes possessing genuine and strong medal potential at the next Olympic Games in Rio (a maximum of four years away from the Podium)
- Podium Potential - compises athletes whose performances indicate they have realistic capabilities for making the Olympic Team in 2016 and medal potential at those Games or in 2020
- Talent - designed to support the identification and conformation of athletes who have the potential to progress through the World Class Pathway.
The two major components of the World Class Swimming Road to Rio Programme are the Podium and Podium Potential programmes. The Home Countries (ASA, WASA and SASA) manage the Talent level programme, with links into the Podium Potential programme, with all aiming to work cohesively to provide a seamless World Class Pathway.
The outcome of UK Sport's Project Rio planning process, announced in December 2012, was that there will be 22 Podium and 65 Podium Potential athlete places available for inclusion onto the WCSP from 1st April 2013.
For further information about membership of the Podium Programme for the year 1st November 2013 to 31st October 2014 please click here and for the Podium Potential Programme 1st November 2013 to 31st October 2014 please click here.
TASS (Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme)
The Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS) is a Government funded initiative providing a unique partnership between National Governing Bodies of sport and higher/further education establishments in England. The aim of the programme is:
- Maintain a balance between training as a performance athlete and academic life.
- Bridge the gap between non-funding grass roots sport and world-class sport.