World Class Swimming Programme
The UK Sport funded World Class Swimming Programme (WCSP) aims to identify, develop and support talented athletes in winning medals on the world stage in 2015 and beyond. To find out about the Programme read on…...
Through its World Class Performance Programme UK Sport is seeking to maximise the chances of athletes winning medals at major sporting events globally, culminating every four years in Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Winning medals on the international sporting stage requires significant resouces. The margins between success and failure become smaller with each passing year. To ensure the UK’s most talented athletes maximise their chances UK Sport has devised a three-level World Class Pathway:
- Podium Potential
The British Swimming World Class Programme is overseen by a National Performance Director who provides overall strategic leadership, inclusive of the performance structures and systems to ensure it achieves maximum medal potential for the current Olympic cycle and beyond. This Programme includes:
- Coaching and Technical Support
- Daily Training and National Team Environment
- Selection Policies - Development of appropriate selection criteria and processes aimed at maximising success
- Quadrennial Plan - A programme of championships and competitions at a level to support athletes on the WCSP
- Sprint Programme - Sprint squad currently based at Loughborough NC and will include the addition of sprint specific workshops for identified athletes and coaches
- Open Water Excellence Programme
- Sports Science and Sports Medicine (SSSM) - tiered support to support athletes on the WCSP including performance analysis, strength and conditioning and soft tissue.
- National Centres (NCs) - Two NCs in Great Britain to provide selected athletes with a fully integrated training programme at one location
- Financial investment in a range of targeted projects, additional athlete support and learning exchange
British Swimming also provides Performance Lifestyle guidance to help athletes on the WCSP manage the demands of training and competition with the other aspects of their lives such as academic study, work, leisure and personal relationships.
To find out more about UK Sport click here. To find out more about World Class Swimming use the navigation to the left or the above links to access the relevant pages.