European Water Polo Championships 2012
Welcome to the LEN European Water Polo Championships 2012 subsection.
- The Road To Eindhoven - CLICK HERE to read about the British team's historic qualification campaign for the 2012 Championships.
- CLICK HERE to watch the European Championships live online (new window will open)
- Meet the Team - CLICK HERE to see the British team list, find out a little more about the players and watch a preview video with three of the team.
- Results - CLICK HERE to see results from the British team's campaign and links to match reports.
- Messages of Support - CLICK HERE to leave a message of support or congratulations for one of the players or the whole team.
About the event
Between 16th - 29th January 2012, the British Gas GBR Women's Team became the first British team since 1997 to compete at the European Championships, after a succesful qualification campaign in 2011.
Eight countries will contest the women's competition in Eindhoven which will comprise a round-robin stage in two groups before knock-out matches to decide the final positions.
The British women will take on the Netherlands, Hungary and Russia in Group A.
The Netherlands qualified automatically as hosts of the competition and will be looking for a confidence boost as they begin a season in which they will also look to defend their Olympic title from Beijing.
Russia have won the past three European Championships and are bidding to become the first nation to win the women's event four times in a row. The Russians enjoyed a succesful 2011 season, winning bronze at the World Championships and finishing fifth at the World League Super Final.
Finally, Hungary reached the Championships after winning their qualification group in 2011 - a season which also saw them finish ninth at the World Championships in Shanghai.
The British are the only confirmed European entry for the women's competition at the London 2012 Olympic Games. Other European teams can qualify by finishing in the top four at the Olympic Qualification Tournament in Trieste, Italy in April.
Find out more
If you're intrigued by water polo and fancy learning more about the sport, check out these useful links.