Assistant Head Coach - Level 2
- M&S Sports Services
- Job Type
- Working Hours
- Full time
- Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- See description
- Closing Date
- 2nd August 2014
- Job Reference
Salary: From £23-25,000 (tax free) based on qualifications, experience and role within our company plus UAE Visa and 50% of initial flight expenses reimbursed after 6 months (all roles).
M&S Sports Services are looking for a dynamic new assistant head coach to add to our existing coaching team.
We are seeking dynamic, proactive and passionate individuals who strive for excellence in everything they do, equally adept as a team player or an individual working on one’s own initiative.
M&S Sports Services is a sports coaching and education provider focused on quality and committed to delivering excellence. We offer curriculum support, after school activities and holiday camps at venues across the UAE.
We pride ourselves on providing a holistic approach to sports coaching. We believe in quality of coaching and therefore quality of coaches. Along with our coaching philosophy centred on learning through fun, to us, all three areas are of paramount importance.
M&S Swimming provides a complete foundation, Learn to Swim and development programme right through to squad level. Our syllabus is conducted in an enjoyable, safe and caring environment, which takes children through our star system shown below beginning from basic water safety and independence in the pool, to all four strokes and competitive swimming. With our development squads, baby splash and adult programmes we cater for the entire swimmer spectrum.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement a well-structured, innovative and progressive coaching programme, ensuring a high quality and professional set-up centered on the development needs of each individual participant and the M&S Sports coaching philosophy.
- Be able to work independently as well as with the other coaches
- To be answerable to the Director of Aquatics and follow the syllabuses and session plans outlined in each training cycle
- Have the versatility to teach effectively within the Learn-to-Swim school as well as within the squad training program
- Constantly link the themes and good practice from each lesson back to the star system or the development squad plan
- Use specific individualised targets to continually motivate and challenge our swimmers
- Monitor each child’s progress and feed this back to the director of aquatics, where a movement in group is required, and also to the parents.
- To work alongside school staff to establish strong links between school swim squad and the progression into our own squad structure
- To help guide and mentor our younger or less qualified staff
- Oversee and manage the safety, well-being and happiness of all participants within M&S Sports Services activities.
- Be a positive role model at all times, creating a positive and inclusive coaching/playing environment and a development culture centred on ‘learning through fun’.
- Complete office based and external tasks as requested, providing administrative support to an appropriate line manager and always meeting stated deadlines. Tasks will include but are not restricted to: completing a session log-book (planning and reflection); taking payments; providing receipts; immaculate collecting, collating and processing of customer data; equipment management;and communicating with swimmers and parents.
- Provide exceptional, friendly and human customer service at all times.
- Develop and maintain effective and positive working relationships with all partners ensuring exemplary representation of M&S Sports.
- Be proactive in the promotion of M&S activities within each venue, building relationships with children, parents and teachers alike and developing our business portfolio.
- Work in conjunction with all staff members to ensure a cohesive and happy environment throughout the company.
- Abide by the guidelines laid out within your handbook, ensuring complete understanding of all company policies and procedures.
Skills and experience:
- Energy, passion, enthusiasm and a proactive approach.
- Recognised coaching qualifications
- Extensive coaching experience and a sporting background
- A love and passion for swimming and working with young people
- An understanding of how to differentiate and tailor coaching sessions to both individual and collective development needs
- A practical and theoretical understanding of LTAD and how to achieve it
- Ability to work towards set, short and long-term targets
- Exceptional communication skills and an ability to adapt to new environments
- Ability to work on one’s own initiative and plan and manage workload.
- ASA Minimum Level 2 in Teaching Aquatics and/or Coaching Swimming
- NPLQ or NRASTC certificate is required (Prerequisite)
- First Aid qualified (Prerequisite)
- Fluent English spoken and written level (Prerequisite)
- Full ICT literacy – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook (Prerequisite)
- Full driving license is required (Prerequisite)
- Degree preferable.
- Significant experience of coaching swimming; establishing, delivering and co-ordinating coaching programmes for young people.
- Relevant degree or experience
- Experience of and passion for Learn to Swim
- Experience of monitoring and evaluating the short-, middle- and long-term impact of lessons/programmes
- Experience of coaching in a wide range of environments including schools, clubs and community settings
- Experience of developing school and community links
- Experience of working with 3-16 year olds
- Ability to coach, teach and learn
- Experience of learn to swim coaching
- Experience of working towards performance targets
- A sporting background
- Experience of supervising and co-ordinating sports coaches and volunteers.
- Experience of coaching squad swimming.
- ASA Minimum Level 2 in Teaching Aquatics and/or Coaching Swimming
- Knowledge of relevant governing body programmes, policies and practices
- First Aid qualified
- Relevant knowledge and experience of sports development, including club and coach development
- Knowledge of Long Term Athlete Development and how to achieve it
- Basic knowledge of land based training/sports nutrition
- A passion for technique and perfection of the finer details; A quality over volume programme
- Full driving license and ability to travel independently
- Basic knowledge of physiology and effective preparation
- Experience of coaching swimmers with disabilities and/or learning difficulties
- Experience of adapting to life and work in a new country, preferably sports based work
- Valid CRB certification.
- Current level 2 qualifications in additional sports.
Key Skills and Abilities
- Ability to develop and implement high quality, varied and creative coaching sessions delivered with a varied but predominantly child-centered approach
- Ability to inspire, motivate and encourage young people through sport
- Ability to adapt sessions appropriately dependent on the needs of young people from a variety of backgrounds and swimmer levels
- Ability to fit into an existing coaching structure and work harmoniously within the team; A driven and focused individual who is equally adept within a team setting
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with people at all levels
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- An ability to be reflective
- Good level of ICT literacy with knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and database production/management
- Intrinsically motivated
- Ability to recognise opportunities for new business development.
- Ability to establish and develop business relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Good understanding of child protection, health and safety and sports equity principles, policies and procedures
- Ability to work efficiently on own initiative, under pressure and maintain a high standard of work
- Ability to go that extra yard and be prepared to work unsociable hours as all swim coaches are expected to work globally.
- Commitment to continuous professional development and willingness to undertake training where necessary.
How to apply
If you are motivated by this position and wish to apply please send your CV and a covering letter to the address below or via the apply button.
- Contact email
- Contact phone