Head Coach for High Performance and Lead Coach of National Youth And Senior Squads - ASA Level 3
- Guildford City Swimming Club
- Job Type:
- Working Hours:
- Full time
- By negotiation, depending on experience and qualifications
- Closing Date:
- 15th December 2017
- Job Reference
- GUIS 2-17
Guildford City Swimming Club require a Level 3 UKCC (or equivalent) coach to head our High Performance squads (HPS) and to lead the coaching of our top squad, the National Youth and Senior Squad (NAYSS). The HPS prepares swimmers for county, regional, national and international competitions. NAYSS is made up of swimmers aged 15 years and over, all of whom have reached the minimum standard of a Swim England qualifying time. The ideal candidate will be a strong team leader and player and be able to demonstrate their ability to deliver a world class training programme.
- Lead & manage in consultation with the chief coach the high performance coaches of HPS (NAYSS, National Age Group squad (NAGS), Regional squad (REGS) and County squad), and help them to plan and deliver programmes for their own squads.
- Plan, agree and deliver a coaching programme for NAYSS which develops the swimmers and optimises their performance within the overall training plan of the club.
1) Develop an annual training plan for HPS and NAYSS within the long term athlete development (LTAD) framework in consultation with HPS lead coaches which will be challenging for the swimmers:
- Develop annual training plan for HPS in consultation with lead coaches
- Develop annual training plan for NAYSS
- Produce plan that meets individual and collective needs for HPS
- Produce plan that meets individual needs of NAYSS members
- Review HPS progress quarterly and with lead coaches
- Review NAYSS progress quarterly with chief coach
2) Lead and manage the High Performance squads in consultation with lead coaches:
- Plan in consultation with HPS lead coaches the high performance culture, producing relevant papers for committee, parents and swimmers as necessary
- Arrange and plan coaches meetings circulating agendas and notes of meeting.
- Follow up with coaches any agreed actions points etc.
- Plan and agree open meets and galas for HPS in consultation with lead coaches
- Organise and agree staff deployment at open meets and galas
- Select swimmers for Arena League galas
- Lead relay selection for county, regional and national championships
- Produce any marketing material for HPS as directed/necessary
3) Lead the coaching of NAYSS so its members realise their full swimming potential:
- Plan and coach daily swimming training sessions in accordance with overall plan
- Oversee the planning and delivery of land training sessions in accordance with overall plan
- Agree with coaching assistants their contribution to the squad and ensure they play a full active and supportive role in coaching
- Participate in coaches meetings and other meetings as necessary/directed etc
- Provide coaching support at competitions as necessary/directed
- Prepare swimmers for potential squad progression in accordance with overall plan
- Maintain register and deliver weekly to Administration/Membership team
- Conduct trials for new and current swimmers as necessary. Analyse swimmer performance and potential
- Lead consultation with swimmers and parents
- Discuss with lead coaches of HPS any technical concerns with specific swimmers
- Discuss where necessary with Welfare any behavioural etc concerns with specific swimmers
4) Manage relationships with swimmers and parents from NAYSS in consultation with chief coach to ensure that they understand what is expected of them:
- Discuss and review expectations with swimmers
- Liaise with parents as necessary and hold parent/swimmer meetings
5) Ensure NAYSS remains a viable part of Guildford City Swimming Club, meeting agreed targets:
- Agree projected squad numbers and numbers for promotion
- Review progress against expectation
- Achieve squad quotas
6) Manage the coaching & competitions of the University of Surrey Swim squad in consultation with chief coach:
- Lead the coaching of the University squad so the members reach their full potential
- Discuss and agree in consultation with Surrey Sports Park (SSP)university lead and scholarship swimmers criteria etc
- Discuss and agree in consultation with SSP university coaches the targets for the squad
- Organise and manage coach staff for the University squad and ensure coaches understand their full part in the Squad's purpose and potential
- Organise a competition calendar and ensure this is communicated to University squad members and staff deployed to run the competitions.
- Discuss and review with University squad members their expectations
7) Lead the sports science for HPS:
- Facilitate an annual programme of appropriate testing
- Manage sport science staff as they support the programme
- Work with Surrey Human Performance Institute (SHPI) to recruit a sport science lead year on year
8) Continue to develop as a coach, proposing, agreeing and carrying through plans for further technical and personal development:
- Agree training and development requirements
- Keep under review own personal development
9) Provide support for other coaches when necessary to cover coach absences in discussion with lead coaches of HPS:
- Plan and coach swimming training sessions for other squads as necessary
- Plan and coach land training sessions for other squads as necessary
10) Manage your own and assistant's administration, communication and IT strategies:
- Keep accurate administrative records in accordance with Club policy and as directed by chief coach
- Ensure all communication between colleagues, swimmers and other associated parties is kept professional and in accordance with Club policy and as directed by chief coach/human resources.
- Maintain a collegiate working practice keeping managers, colleagues and others fully informed as required.
- Ensure any use of Twitter is within Club Communication policy
- Ensure Club computers operating systems and virus protection software is kept up to date to safeguard Club computer files etc
11) Ensure you have a working knowledge of all Club and Swim England/ASA policies:
- Ensure that you and your assistant’s safeguarding and Disclose and Barring Service (DBS) certificates are kept up to date and as directed by HR.
- Have a working knowledge of Wavepower and keep up to date with any changes.
- Ensure that you and your assistants understand the data protection rules and apply these to all communication, if in doubt speak to HR
- Read and keep up to date of all polices relating to the Club and Swim England/ASA
Job descriptions, content and titles may change depending on the skills and experience of applicants and also from time to time in order to meet the changing needs of the Club
How to apply
Please send your CV, with a covering letter explaining your reasons for applying for the vacancy and what you can bring to the post, via the apply button.