Swimming Coach - ASA Level 2 or Level 3
- Winchester City Penguins Swimming Club
- Job Type:
- Fixed-term contract
- Working Hours:
- Part time
- Competitive depending on qualification and experience
- Closing Date:
- 25th November 2017
- Job Reference
Winchester City Penguins (WCPSC), based in Hampshire, are seeking an experienced swimming coach with a proven track record to work with us to further our competitive swimming ambitions. The hours are 23 hours per week. There is an opportunity for the right candidate to gain additional hours, up to full-time, within our large lessons programme (700+ swimmers). More information can be provided about this upon request.
WCPSC are a charitable incorporated organisation, with Swim England accreditation and now have approximately 1100 members ranging in ages from 3 - 70. We operate out of six pools around Winchester and attract members from across Hampshire. We are seeing increasing numbers of swimmers qualifying at all levels of competitive swimming - development, county, regional and national, including medalists - and this is an opportunity to work with our head of performance and a passionate, committed team of coaches, teachers and volunteers to help accelerate the development of our 300+ squad swimmers. The role will contribute to establishing WCPSC as a centre of excellence for the provision of competitive swimming. It is looking likely that this will include a new city council sports and leisure facility, with a 50m swimming pool.
Summary of the role
The squad coach holds a supportive role in the ongoing development of the Club’s coaching programme and will report to the head of performance to develop the charity’s competitive and training swimming programme, and to introduce greater stability and resilience to swimming coaching across the club.
- The Head of Performance Swimming (HOPS).
- To implement the Club’s swimming programme working with the HOPS and other coaching staff
- To support the HOPS in mentoring the coaching team and guiding all support staff towards the vision of the club and goals of the competitive programme.
- To ensure, as a WCPSC coach, that you are at the forefront of professional coaching standards and are in a position to embrace the latest technology and evidence-based innovation and research.
- To establish and drive a no compromise culture of best practice and continuous improvement and to improve strategies to achieve performance outcomes.
- Attend competitions and open meets to support club swimmers, as directed by the HOPS.
Qualifications and requirements:
- UKCC Swimming Coach Level 2 or above.
- Valid full UK driving license, due to us operating out of 6 pools in the Winchester area, and for competitions nationwide.
- DBS clearance
- Be an effective communicator, within the club and the community, and comfortable talking with parents, swimmers, fellow coaches and other key people and organisations.
- Proven track record of coaching swimming, including knowledge (and preferably recent experience) of long term athlete development and provide evidence of relevant CPD, both formal and informal
- Experience in broader aquatic sports provision, whilst not essential, will be an advantage.
- The ability to build and maintain effective working relationship with the HOPS, chief executive officer and other coaching staff, swimmers and their parents
- A flexible approach to working hours
- A great attitude and flexible 'can do' approach to your work
- Effective time management, planning and organisation
This job description should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended to provide the framework within which the role will be developed and may be subject to adjustment in light of the changing needs of WCPSC.
For more information please email Vicky Harrison on the address below.
How to apply
Please send your CV and covering letter via the apply button.
- Contact email