Use of Wheelchairs on Poolside
Swimmers with a disability need to have the same access to opportunities as non-disabled swimmers.
If you are the parent of a child who uses a wheelchair then here are some key facts you need be aware of:
- The law demands access routes to pools must be wheelchair-friendly and that users have access to the water.
- Some operators will not allow wheelchairs to the poolside for hygiene reasons. In this case they must provide an alternative.
- If your child’s wheelchair is a special design, operators should allow it poolside. But be aware there could be constraints. For example, some operators don’t allow rubber tyres as they mark the surface.
- Electric wheelchairs powered by wet batteries will not be allowed poolside because of leakage concerns.
- If you have any doubts concerning your child’s wheelchair contact your local operator.