ASA Adult Swimming Framework
The ASA Adult Framework is part of the ASA Learn to Swim Pathway and your guarantee of structured swimming development.
The Pathway is an all-inclusive programme which takes the non-swimmer from his or her first splash to developing confidence and competence in the water, whatever their age.
Starting as the National Learn to Swim programme in 1997, the ASA Learn to Swim Pathway is broken into four areas:
- ASA Foundation Framework
- ASA Learn to Swim Framework (Stages 1-7)
- ASA Learn to Swim Framework (Stages 8-10)
- ASA Adult Swimming Framework
For information on the ASA Foundation and Stages 1-10 Framework go to the Parents' Learn to Swim section.Each framework is designed to ensure that a programme delivers high quality, inspirational lessons. Each pathway is also supported by further resources and teacher training to help improve the quality and implementation of swimming lessons. Swimmers can also be reassured that they are receiving a progressive, diverse framework that reflects good practice in line with the ASA’s recommendations.
What to expect from the Adult Framework
Track down ASA adult lessons at your nearest pool using our Pool Finder. Look out for the adult swimming lessons icon.The ASA Adult Framework is targeted at people over the age of 14. Flexibity and sociability are cornerstones of the framework with emphasis on swimming lesson providers offering wider opportunities to improve your swimming. As well as providing ASA Level 2 qualified teachers, pools or swim schools offering adult swimming lessons should offer the following if supporting the framework:
- Dry land swimming introduction
- Lessons to help combat nervousness
- Total beginner lessons (based on Stages 1-3 of the ASA Learn to Swim Framework)
- Improver lessons (based on Stages 4-5 of the ASA Learn to Swim Framework)
- Swimming stroke lessons (based on Stage 6 and above of the ASA Learn to Swim Framework)
- Access to pool-side Swimfit sessions
- Social swimming networks
- Swim buddies
- Access to swimming clubs
- Adult certificates to reward progress