Getting Into Water Polo
It’s fast, it’s exciting, and it’s probably the most fun you can have in the pool. Water polo is a great way to get into swimming.
In water polo you have two teams of seven players, and one them tries to score more points than the other.
Players on a team move the ball by throwing it or swimming while pushing the ball in front of them.
It's fast. Once a team has the ball it only has 30 seconds to shoot at goal.
It's challenging. You aren’t allowed to touch the bottom of the pool and can only hold the ball with one hand.
Only the goalkeeper can use both hands and touch the bottom of the pool, so he or she can really concentrate on saving goals.
- Let our top water polo players explain the basics of the sport in our Aquatics 2012 zone
- Meet our top water polo stars in our Aquatics Stars section
Who is water polo suited to?
- Both boys and girls can take part.
- You will need to develop good all-over body strength and strong swimming skills.
- If you already play football or rugby and enjoy swimming then you'll love water polo.