Learn to Swim Apprenticeship04/11/2016
The Learn to Swim Apprenticeship provides a wide range of knowledge and experience, helping trainees develop a career within the leisure industry.
- Duration:12 months
- Training Format:Apprenticeship
Who is the course designed for?
The Coaching Learn to Swim Apprenticeship is designed for those wishing to pursue a career in the leisure industry through a teaching route; it is entirely work based and work related.
The programme gives a wide range of knowledge and experience, and most importantly the qualifications to help develop a career within the leisure industry.
At the end of this apprenticeship trainees will become fully qualified swimming teachers, with the ability to teach swimmers of all abilities, children and adults.
Apprentices will complete the following qualifications whilst working full time:
- Level 1 Functional Skills in English and maths (if required)
- ASA Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching)
- ASA Level 2 Swimming Teacher
- Level 2 Award in Employment Awareness
- Level 2 Diploma in Coaching Learn to Swim
The qualifications will enable apprentices to:
- Build their confidence, communication and inter personal skills
- Identify the principles of pre-fundamentals sessions
- Develop an awareness of their professional role and responsibilities
- Adopt an integrated approach to the theory and practice of adult and child sessions
- Reflect on their own previous or current levels of experience, practice and skills, and areas for development
The apprenticeship programme is delivered through a work based assessment. A tutor/assessor will visit their apprentice every 8 to 12 weeks, reviewing work, setting projects and completing observations.
Apprentices need to be contracted to a minimum of 30 hours a week. For trainees that are employed for less than 30 hours a week, an apprenticeship may still be an option but the programme will last from 18 months to 2 years.
The scheme is government funded and funding eligibility is set by the Skills Funding Agency.
The main criteria are:
- Aged 16 or above
- Not in full time education
- An EU citizen having lived within the EU for the last 3 years
- Not already hold a level 2 or 3 qualification in Sport & Recreation
- Not already have achieved a degree, HND, HNC, Foundation Degree or be studying towards any of these
- Must be willing to sign up to our Apprentice scheme for 12 months.
The IoS and Dudley College Partnership
The IoS currently partner with Dudley College to recruit apprentices onto Learn to Swim Apprenticeships outlined above. Enquiries are passed through to Dudley who will make contact to support the recruitment, support and assessment of the apprentice.