Swim England Level 3 Aquatic Activity for Health27/02/2018
The Level 3 Aquatic Activity for Health qualification builds on the Level 3 GP Exercise Referral.
It develops your knowledge and skills, giving you the confidence to set and deliver water-based exercises for customers coming through health referral and physical activity pathways.
- Duration: 2 days
- Training Format: Face to Face
Who is the course designed for?
Any Level 3 Health Referral Instructor who want the knowledge, skills and confidence to set and deliver water-based exercises to people who come through health referral and physical activity pathways.
GP exercise referral schemes offer physical activity to those who need to improve their health and wellbeing.
Current Level 3 Gym Referral qualifications only cover gym-based exercises and when water-based exercise is offered it tends to be in the form of aqua aerobics classes.
These are led by instructors who are not appropriately qualified to deal with the customer’s health needs.
The Level 3 Aquatic Activity for Health Qualification builds on the Level 3 GP Exercise Referral, bridging this gap between dry land and water-based exercise.
The course goes through the properties of exercising in water including physiological effects, benefits and exercises for a range of mild to moderate health conditions.
This is split into units covering:
- Knowledge of key aquatic skills
- Understand the principles and use of water-based referral exercises
- Supporting behaviour change
- Instructing water based referral exercises
- Understand the exercises that may be detrimental to the health and well-being of the participant
Download a PDF of the specification for the Level 3 Aquatic Activity for Health qualification here.
Find a course near you
Select ‘Health & Participation’ from the All Sports menu on widget below to find the next course near you. Results will appear on the Institute of Swimming bookings website.
You must be at least 18 years of age and hold one of the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Gym Referral / Exercise Referral qualification
- ATACP Foundation programme in Aquatic Physiotherapy and be a Member of the Health Care and Professionals Council (HCPC) or have a Chartered Society of Physiotherapy number