Discover the fitness benefits of aqua aerobics27/05/2016
Aqua Aerobics classes are a great way to mix up a traditional gym workout with the wondrous benefits of water. It only takes a few aqua aerobics sessions and you’ll see a big difference in your overall fitness.
Also know as water aerobics or sometimes waterobics, typical classes will involve all the exercises you would expect in a ‘dry’ class. But there are added bonuses when you exercise in water.
The top benefits of aqua aerobics
- Water supports the body, putting less stress on your joints and muscles
- Working out in water helps build strength. Fighting against the push of the water activates your muscles
- Water pressure helps put less strain on the heart by moving blood around the body
- The impact of gravity is less in the water allowing a greater range of motion
- Working out in water helps prevent overheating, helping you exercise for longer
- And… it’s fun! It is not often you can say that about a workout.
What to expect at an aqua aerobics class
The first thing you’ll get is a great all-over workout. You’ll also use new equipment like aqua dumbbells, kickboards and hydro discs.
Olympic swimmer Keri-Anne Payne takes you through the equipment used in an average aqua aerobics session in the video below.
You don’t need to buy equipment if you don’t want to. Everything you need will be provided by your pool for use the lesson.
Find your nearest pool offering aqua aerobics with Pool Finder. Simply enter your postcode a filter pools by Aqua Fitness.