Do you love trying new Masters swimming sets? Do you fancy yourself as an endurance junkie? Then this 12 Days of Christmas swimming workout could be the one for you.
A word of warning though first and foremost – this set is NOT for the faint-hearted.
A second word of warning, it’s called 12 Days of Christmas, but it’s meant to be completed in ONE DAY – set yourself at least three hours for this beast of a set! If it’s getting too tough, call it a day, do your usual recovery routine and give it another go after a couple of days’ rest.
Don’t forget to let us know how you get on.
There is no warm up for this set – just take each length steady and don’t overdo it. This is a marathon (of sorts), not a sprint. Just getting to the finish line is an achievement.
- Start off with one 25m length, swimming a stroke of your choice.
- Swim two lengths (50m), take a short break, then one length (25m), again in a stroke of your choice.
- Swim three lengths (75m), take a short break, then two lengths (50m), a break, then one length (25m), using a stroke of your choice.
- Now swim four length (100m), three lengths (75m), two lengths (50m) and one length (25m). You can see where we’re going with this!
- Continue this pattern until you start off with 12 lengths (300m in a 25m pool), then 11 lengths, then 10 lengths all the way down to one last length.
- Having swum 9100m, we’re guessing you’re ready just to drag yourself out of the pool. Give yourself a pat on the back and help yourself to an extra portion of Christmas Dinner! You’ve earned it.