Want to indulge on Shrove Tuesday but don’t want to put all your hard Swimming work to waste? Well, here’s a way to enjoy Pancake Day the healthy way with a pancake recipe for high protein ‘Swim-Flip’ pancakes!
What you will need:
- 2 Bananas
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbs Peanut Butter
- 1 Blender
- 1 Non-Stick Frying Pan
- 1 Low-Calorie Cooking Oil Spray
Peanut butter may seem a strange addition to a pancake recipe but it’s a super sports food for athletes who want to eat well and invest in their health.
Because you will never win the war against hunger, your best bet is to eat foods that keep you feeling fed. This means, foods with protein and fibre – like peanut butter (and nuts, in general). You’ll feel fuller for longer and the protein and fibre in peanut butter “sticks to your ribs”, so is not fattening – unless you overeat on your total calories that day.
So, let’s get started and make your healthy ‘Swim-flip’ protein pancakes in just 4 easy steps:
- Peel the bananas and place them whole into your blender. Next, scoop in 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and follow with one egg.
- Blend the mixture until it is completely smooth. At this stage, check the consistency of the batter – it should resemble a runny paste. If the mixture is too thick, add a ½ cup of water and blend again. Repeat this process until your pancake mix is the correct consistency.
- Now here’s the slightly tricky part. Unlike normal pancakes, our special formula cooks a little quicker than most! Once you have prepared your frying pan and sprayed a thin, even layer of cooking oil, place your pan on the hob making sure that it is at approximately ¾ of maximum heat. Slowly pour the batter into the pan and thin out with the back of a spoon. Keep a close eye on the pan and make sure you scoop the edges of your pancake regularly so it does not stick. Flip the pancake so each side is cooked.
- Serve up your delicious, healthy alternative pancakes. For that little extra treat, enjoy your creation with a small amount of caster sugar and lemon juice.