Otter head coach Steve Bratt describes his race pace anaerobic workout for swimmers who want to improve their competitive speed.
He sent the Hub a couple of workouts. This ‘Race Pace Anaerobic’ workout will improve speed and lactate buffering. Look out for his second ‘High Performance Endurance’ workout to improve aerobic power.
- 400m swimming a stroke / strokes of your choice.
- 2x100m going through the Individual Medley strokes but kicking only and without a kickboard.
- 4x100m front crawl on 1min40. Wait until the 1min40 is up before starting your next 100m. Aim to go at least two seconds faster with each of the four 100s.
- 3x300m of either a front crawl pull drill or an Individual Medley kick drill with no kickboard. Aim to do the 300m front crawl drill on 4min30 and the IM kicking drill on 6min.
- 4x100m at 400m race pace on 2min. Wait until the two minutes have finished before starting your next 100m.
- 2x50m at 200m race pace on 1min. Wait until the minute has finished before starting your next 50m.
- 200m swim down on 4min.
- 4x200m of front crawl breathing every three, four, five, six then seven strokes on 3min30. Wait until the 3min30 is finished before starting your next 200m.
- 200m cool down using a stroke of your choice.