Jack Buswell of Northampton held on to his age group title as he claimed gold in the boys’ 16yrs age group at the Swim England Open Water National Age Group Champs at Rother Valley.
Buswell, who was the reigning champion from the 15yrs age group last year, took the win on the final straight. Buswell touched in 34:33.70. George Barber was hot on his heels during the race but the Grimsby swimmer ultimate finished just a body length behind, touching in 34:34.76.
Buswell commented: “It feels really good to win gold again, especially after British nationals last week. I’m feeling quite good for the English nationals at Ponds Forge next week now. It was a bit wavy out there today, but it was nice. Not too cold.”
Jamie McCaffray of Modernian was third, touching in 34:42.64 for the final spot on the podium.
Crisp takes gold in girls 16yrs 3k
Leah Crisp showed her versatility as a swimmer, claiming gold in the girls 16yrs 3k event. The City of Leeds swimmer has just returned from the Commonwealth Youth Games in the Bahamas. She secured her first international gold in Nassau, claiming the 400m freestyle title.
It was an easy win for Crisp, who is a relatively seasoned outdoor swimmer for her age group. She was over a second faster than Rosie Holland of Ellesmere who claimed silver. Crisp touched 36:15.57 for the title. Holland took silver with 37:15.66 and Shannon Dalligan, also of Ellesmere, touched in 37:17.23 for bronze.
Rodd takes girls 15yrs 3k title
Amelia Rodd claimed the gold medal in the girls’ 15yrs 3k event.
The Redditch swimmer found her way into the front pack, and after 2000m the three girls in the front had the race in the bag. The only question that remained was who would make it to the finish line first.
Michaella Glenister of Leicester dropped off from the pack in the final stages of the race, and it was left to Rodd and Tiegan Child of Beckenham.
There was almost nothing between the two girls, with Rodd touching less than half a second quicker. Rodd took gold with 37:02.04, Child took silver with 37:02.50 and Glenister took bronze with 37:17.98.
Rodd commented on her performance: “It feels good, the race was very enjoyable. I didn’t think it [gold medal] was going to happen. I’ve been doing quite a bit of training both in the pool and in the lake.
“The conditions made it quite hard over the first half, but then coming back it was alright. I’m going to start training for the long course Winter Championships – that’s my next big event.”
- Click here to see full results from the National Age Group 3k race.
All medallists from the 3k event
- Jack Buswell (Northampton) – boys’ 16yrs gold
- Leah Crisp (City of Leeds) – girls’ 16yrs gold
- Amelia Rodd (Redditch) – girls’ 15yrs gold
- Jackson O’Rourke – boys’ 15yrs gold
- George Barber (Grimsby AST) – boys’ 16yrs silver
- Rosie Holland (Ellesmere) – girls’ 16yrs silver
- Ciaran Thomas (Newcastle) – boys’ 15yrs silver
- Tiegan Child (Beckenham) girls’ 15yrs silver
- Jamie McCaffray (Modernian) boys’ 16yrs bronze
- Shannon Dalligan (Ellesmere) girls’ 16yrs bronze
- Michaella Glenister (City of Leicester) girls’ 15yrs bronze
- Oliver Duckworth (Grimsby) boys’ 15yrs bronze