Class from Crabtree in day one finalsAugust 1, 2016
Samuel Crabtree dominated the Men’s 17yrs 200m freestyle and Joseph Seage S14 claimed his second medal of the competition with an MC 100m Breaststroke gold.
Men’s 200m Freestyle finals
In the Men’s 15yrs 200m Freestyle final it was a very close as the swimmers powered down the final 50m. There was over two seconds between Daniel Morley of Durham City and Daniel Jenkins of City of Oxford at the last turn. Jenkins managed to catch up by over a second, but it was Morley who took gold with a new PB time of 1:57.53.
The 17yrs event was also a close race to call, with the top four swimmers all within a second of one another throughout the race. Samuel Crabtree of Thanet Swim had the lead from the start, powering his way through to the gold. He touched in 1:54.18 to top the podium.
Crabtree commented: “I went out hard to see if I could hold it for the whole race. I saw them catching up on the third length, so put my head down and just held on for the touch.”
“Training has been hard. There’s a quick group at Thanet Swim Club who are all very quick, including the British National Champion last week. It’s my best achievement so far.”
Women’s 200m Freestyle finals
In the Women’s 15yrs 200m Freestyle event, Emilia Sansome of Wycombe District was a good body length ahead of the rest of the field at the final turn. She looked unstoppable down the final 50m and took gold with a big personal best time of 2:04.42.
The 16yrs title went to Olivia Tatton of Northampton, who managed to put some distance between her and second place in the final leg of the race. She shaved over three second from her previous PB to claim gold with 2:07.06.
“It was the best race I’ve ever done,” said Tatton. “I felt really good as soon as I dived in I knew I had it. It was a three second PB and a massive improvement from this morning.”
MC 100m Breaststroke finals
Rotherham Metro’s Joseph Seage won the Men’s MC 100m Breaststroke for the second year running. The S14 swimmer retained his title after scoring 659 BDP for his time of 1:16.62.
Hoddesdon’s Grace Harvey took the top spot in the women’s event, swimming a new personal best time of 1:50.96 to claim 627 BDP for the gold medal.
Men’s 400m Individual Medley finals
Fastest qualifier in the Men’s 15yrs event, Adam Metcalf of Ellesmere College, was almost nine seconds ahead of City of Hereford’s James Bilbao. Metcalf was just over eight second faster than his previous personal best time.
“I got two silver medals at the British Nationals last week,” said Metcalf. “It’s hard to beat guys who are a year older than me. To come away with a gold here caps off the perfect week, and the perfect end to the season.”
City of Derby’s William Foster also smashed his personal best time, lowering it by six seconds in the 16yrs age group to 4:44.60. All three podium finishers managed to swim new PB times.
Women’s 400m IM
In the 12/13yrs age group there were some fantastic performances to round off the session.
First, second and third place all swam new PBs, with Sevenoaks’ Rose Compton taking the win with 5:08.36.
Olivia Herron of Salford was second fastest going into the finals. She almost caught Compton in the final 50m, finishing with 5:08.59 for silver.
- Click here to view full results from Sheffield.
Other gold medallists
- Lewis Binning (Romford Town) – Men’s 13/14yrs 200m Freestyle
- James Woodward (Potters Bar) – Men’s 16yrs 200m Freestyle
- Thomas Flaherty (City of Milton Keynes) – Men’s 18yrs 200m Freestyle
- Olivia Butler (Severnside) – Women’s 12/13yrs 200m Freestyle
- Alicia Dingle (Royal Wolverhampton) – Women’s 14yrs 200m Freestyle
- Isobel Jones (City of Milton Keynes) – Women’s 17yrs+ 200m Freestyle
- Daniel Butler (Chester-le-Street) – Men’s 13/14yrs 400m IM
- Rory Huggins (Havant and Waterlooville) – Men’s 17yrs 400m IM
- Matthew Domville (Warrington) – Men’s 18yrs 400m IM
- Anna Smail (Ellesmere College) – Women’s 14yrs 400m IM
- Rebecca Fisher (City of Leeds) – Women’s 15yrs 400m IM
- Spencer Williams (Brompton) – Women’s 16yrs 400m IM
- Hannah Jones (Stockport Metro) – Women’s 17yrs+ 400m IM
Image credit: Dan Cross Twitter