We have created this combined SEQ Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching) and Level 2 Teaching Swimming course so that anyone with experience supporting swimming lessons can complete both qualifications at once.
This course develops your knowledge, skills and abilities as a swimming assistant and teacher. It enables you to independently plan and deliver swimming lessons.
Blended Learning is a more flexible approach where you complete the theoretical elements of the course online through interactive activities and checks on learning, prior to Zoom Sessions live with your course tutor, followed by a series of practical workshops.
We have split the theory and practical elements of these qualifications into two courses:
- Theory – This will be delivered online through interactive zoom webinars. You will have assessments to complete during these sessions
- Practical – This will start with three zoom webinars to cover some practical topics and your venue orientation. You will then go on to do four, half-day practical sessions at the pool and a final webinar with your tutor.
It will cover the theoretical elements of your qualifications online through a series of live virtual classrooms delivered through zoom webinars.
The webinars will be led by your tutor and you will be guided through the course content along with others on your course. You will be involved in group activities, able to ask questions and interact with those on your course.
The webinar itinerary can be seen below.
You must attend all sessions and please ensure that you are in a suitable learning environment with strong internet access.
The webinars will last around 3 hours each and you will have time in-between to reflect on your learning.
During this time you will also be able to contact your course tutor via email. Your tutor will be using Google classroom to support your learning so you will need to create a google account. You will be guided through this in your first webinar.
Once you have completed your theoretical training you will then be able to book on to any SEQ Level 2 Teaching Swimming – Practical Session which will include more course content, your swimming lessons and assessment at the pool. Your tutor will complete the practical assessment for your SEQ Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching) qualification as part of this.
This course develops your knowledge, skills and abilities as a swimming teacher and assistant, giving you the skills to independently plan and deliver swimming lessons.
You will learn about:
- The responsibilities and role of a swimming assistant and a swimming teacher
- How the scientific principles of swimming impact on development
- How to develop core aquatic skills and the four strokes
- How to identify and correct common swimming faults
- How to use a variety of teaching techniques and equipment to suit different needs
- How to plan and deliver inclusive lessons for different levels of ability, including adaptations for swimmers with special educational needs and disabilities
- Key teaching and management skills including class management and assessment, organisational skills, behaviour management, communication skills, and teaching methods
- National curriculum swimming lessons and how they differ from learn to swim lessons
Who is the course designed for?
Due to the intense nature of this course, those looking to enrol should have:
- Experience of supporting swimming lessons or working within an aquatics environment
- Technical knowledge of swimming
- Aan understanding of Stages 1-7 of the Swim England Learn to Swim Programme
- A basic understanding of lesson planning
- How to Enrol:
- Click book on course or use the contact details below.
You must be at least 16 years of age at the start of the course.
Institute of Swimming
- 01509 640640
Meadowside Leisure Centre