This course develops your knowledge, skills and abilities as an assistant swimming teacher. It will enable you to actively support a qualified swimming teacher in the delivery of a planned learn to swim session.
Blended Learning is a more flexible approach where you complete the theoretical elements of the course online through interactive activities and checks on learning, prior to the practical workshops.
Who is the course designed for?
Anyone interested in starting a career in teaching swimming or wants to assist a swimming teacher. You don’t need to have any prior experience of teaching swimming.
The course is delivered through a mixture of classroom activities and practical poolside learning. You will participate in at least two 30-minute swimming lessons to gain hands on practical experience.
You will learn about:
- The legal aspects of assisting in swimming lessons
- The responsibilities of a Swimming Assistant
- The swimming pathway, fundamental movement, core aquatic skills and component parts of strokes
- Scientific principles of swimming
- What makes up a lesson plan, equipment and communications skills
- How to identify anxiety and use of motivational techniques
- The type of assistance you can provide
Download the full SEQ Level 1 Swimming Assistant specification.
- You must be at least 16 years of age at the start of the course.
Institute of Swimming
- 01509 640640
Aylestone Leisure Centre
2 Knighton Lane East