This course develops your knowledge, skills and abilities as an assistant swimming teacher. It will enable you to actively support a qualified swimming teacher in the delivery of a planned learn to swim session.
Online and Virtual Learning is a more flexible approach where you complete the theoretical elements of the course online through interactive activities and checks on learning.
Who is the course designed for?
Anyone interested in starting a career in teaching swimming or wants to assist a swimming teacher.
Course delivery format
- Online learning – you will be given access to this on the start date listed below. This must be completed 72 hours prior to attending your first zoom session. The estimated time to complete this is 8 hrs.
- 2 x 3 hr Zoom webinars – During these sessions, the tutor will cover the remainder of your practical topics, a venue orientation and planning for your swimming lessons.
- There will then be a final one to one where you will receive feedback from your tutor. This will take place online via zoom and will be a 30-minute slot. The tutor will arrange your exact time slot with you during the first zoom session.
The course is delivered through a mixture of online learning exercises, virtual classroom activities and assessment.
You will learn about:
- The legal aspects of assisting in swimming lessons
- The responsibilities of a Swimming Assistant
- The swimming pathway, fundamental movement, core aquatic skills and component parts of strokes
- Scientific principles of swimming
- What makes up a lesson plan, equipment and communications skills
- How to identify anxiety and use of motivational techniques
- The type of assistance you can provide
Download the full SEQ Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching) specification.
- How to Enrol:
- Please contact Katie Genan at Swim Wales for booking enquires
You must be at least 16 years of age at the start of the course.
- 01792 51380