This course develops your knowledge, skills and abilities as an assistant swimming teacher. It will enable you to actively support a qualified swimming teacher in the delivery of a planned learn to swim session.
Who is the course designed for?
Anyone interested in starting a career in teaching swimming or wants to assist a swimming teacher. You don’t need to have any prior experience of teaching swimming.
All courses will start online, exploring the theoretical elements through a series of virtual classrooms using Zoom and Google Classrooms.
Once you have successfully completed the theory aspects, you will be contacted by your tutor to book onto your practical sessions. These will be located across Wales at designated training hubs, we will always aim to get you booked in at the closest on to you. Your practical sessions will start with a webinar to familiarise yourself with the venue and their Covid-19 policies. During your pool based session, your tutor will go through your practical assessment.
The course is delivered through a mixture of classroom activities and practical poolside learning. You will participate in at least two 30-minute swimming lessons to gain hands on practical experience.
You will learn about:
- The legal aspects of assisting in swimming lessons
- The responsibilities of a Swimming Assistant
- The swimming pathway, fundamental movement, core aquatic skills and component parts of strokes
- Scientific principles of swimming
- What makes up a lesson plan, equipment and communications skills
- How to identify anxiety and use of motivational techniques
- The type of assistance you can provide
Download the full SEQ Level 1 Swimming Assistant specification.
- How to Enrol:
- Please contact Katie Genan at Swim Wales for booking enquiries
- Learners must be 16 years of age or older on the first day of the course
- 01792 513580
Monmouth Leisure Centre
Old Dixton Rd