This course covers the skills needed to effectively plan, deliver, and evaluate a series of open water training sessions.
Who is the course designed for?
Anyone who is a Swim England Coach, SEQ Level 2 Swimming Teacher or Triathlon Coach and who wants to become an independent open water coach. Please ensure you read the pre requisite section of the course booking page before booking onto this course.
Course delivery format
- Online learning – you will be given access to this on the start date listed below. This will be completed through out the course and deadlines will b e set by your course tutor.
- 1 x face to face day – this will consist of classroom based activities and practical sessions in the pool.
- Zoom recap session – before heading to the lake session there will be a Zoom session to recap on your learning and to ensure that you are fully prepared for the practical lake session.
- Lake session – During your practical sessions you will develop your skills with the support of your tutor and put the theory you have already learnt into practice. You will be assessed by your tutor who will provide you with feedback so you can develop throughout the sessions.
You can see the full itinerary below. You will need to attend all sessions and please ensure that you are in a suitable learning environment with strong internet access for the Zoom webinar.
The course is delivered through a mixture of online learning, Zoom classroom activities, and practical learning, in both a pool and open water environment. Throughout the course you will learn about:
- Principles of swimming in open water
- Legal responsibilities of coaching in open water swimming including risk assessments for open water venues
- Coaching positions for open water swimming
- Planning for coaching open water swimming including session plans and overviews for different swimmers
- Innovative delivery of open water swimming sessions
- Coaching open water skills including event tactics, preparation and recovery skills
- Session management skills including using different motivational techniques and interpersonal skills with participants
- How to Enrol:
- Please make initial enquiry via phone or email to Jane Hushon @ SwimmingFirst
- You will then complete an enrolment form and all pre requisites are checked. SwimmingFirst
- will contact you to confirm the booking.
You must be at least 17 years of age at the start of the course.
– Swim England Swimming Coach Certificate (or equivalent)
– 1st 4sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching Triathlon (QCF)
– SEQ Level 2 Teaching Swimming and have experience of swimming in an open water environment
- 01395 443637