This course develops your knowledge, skills and abilities as a swimming teacher. It builds on the SEQ Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching) qualification and gives you the skills to independently plan and deliver swimming lessons.
Blended Learning is a more flexible approach where you complete the theoretical elements of the course online through interactive activities and checks on learning, prior to Zoom Sessions live with your course tutor, followed by a series of practical workshops.
This Course delivery will consist of:
- Learners own E Learning will need to be started prior to the first delivery day and completed in-between sessions. The deadline will be confirmed by your course tutor.
- Zoom Webinars – During these sessions, the tutor will expand on a number of theory topics, deliver a workshop on lesson planning, carry out a venue orientation and planning for your swimming lesson assessments.
- Following this, you will complete your remaining lesson plans ready for your practical sessions. Please ensure you set aside additional time to do this before the practical days .
- 4 x half-day Practical assessment sessions at the pool – these will consist of a meet and greet, planning and preparation, lesson delivery of at least six 30-minute swimming lessons, peer observations and feedback. You will then also need to complete evaluations and an action plan.
- There will then be a final webinar once you have finished the above where you will receive one to one feedback from your tutor. A whole day is listed in the itinerary below, however, you will only be required for up to 1 hour. Your tutor will let you know the exact time you need to join them at the start of the course.
Who is the course designed for?
Anyone who has an SEQ Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching) qualification who wants to become a Swimming Teacher. Blended courses are best suited to swimming assistants with at least three months experience of supporting lessons, those looking to enrol on this course should ensure they are prepared by:
- Gaining extensive experience of supporting swimming lessons or working within an aquatics environment
- Ensuring you have technical knowledge of swimming through extensive experience of assisting or attending our Improving Strokes CPDs
- Having experience of supporting lesson covering Stages 1-7 of the Swim England Learn to Swim framework
- Having an understanding of the key legal areas swimming teachers must adhere to
- Having a basic understanding of lesson planning
The course is delivered through a mixture of learner led online learning, live Zoom classroom sessions and practical poolside learning. You will participate in at least six 30-minute swimming lessons to gain hands on practical experience.
You will learn about:
- The responsibilities and role of a swimming teacher
- How the scientific principles of swimming impact on development
- How to develop core aquatic skills and the four strokes
- How to identify and correct common swimming faults
- How to use a variety of teaching techniques and equipment to suit different needs
- How to plan and deliver inclusive lessons for different levels of ability, including adaptations for swimmers with special educational needs and disabilities
- Key teaching and management skills including class management and assessment, organisational skills, behaviour management, communication skills, and teaching methods
- National curriculum swimming lessons and how they differ from learn to swim lessons
Please be aware, throughout the duration of the course you will allocated homework by your Tutor that must ‘Meet the Standard’ before the end of the course. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
Download a PDF of the full SEQ Level 2 Teaching Swimming specification
- How to Enrol:
- Click book on course or use the contact details below.
You must be at least 16 years of age at the start of the course.
SEQ Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching) Face to Face
SEQ Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching) – Blended Learning
An ASA Level 1 Award in Teaching Aquatics or an equivalent ASA qualification
If you are unsure if your qualification meets the pre-requisites, please check with the Institute of Swimming on 01509 640640 or emailing email@example.com
Institute of Swimming
- 01509 640640
Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre