This course develops your knowledge, skills and abilities as a swimming teacher. It builds on the Assistant Swimming Coach certificate and gives you the skills to independently plan and deliver coaching sessions.
Blended Learning is a more flexible approach where you complete the online learning, theoretical elements through a series of Zoom sessions followed by assessment tasks and practical delivery of coaching sessions. The online learning and completion of assessments should take you are approximately 15-20 hours to complete and learners should complete this as directed by their tutor on course.
Who is the course designed for?
Anyone who has a Swim England Assistant Swimming Coach certificate who wants to become an independent coach.
This Course delivery will consist of:
- 7 x Zoom Webinars – During these sessions, the tutor will cover the theory topics and assessment materials with you.
- You will be required to complete assessment work alongside the Zoom sessions, your tutor will set this for you during these sessions.
- 4 x practical assessment sessions at the pool – these will consist of a meet and greet, planning and preparation, session delivery, peer observations and feedback. You will then also need to complete evaluations and an action plan.
- Post course planning – following on from the completion of your practical element you will be required to complete and submit a number of assessment tasks these include; ADD IN .
The course is delivered through a mixture of Zoom sessions, assessment activities and practical poolside learning. You will participate in training sessions, coaching swimmers at county standard and above, to gain hands on practical experience.
You will learn about:
- Roles and responsibilities of a Swimming Coach
- Impact of the Athlete Development Support Pathway in competitive swimming
- Scientific principles of competitive swimming
- Competitive swimming skills
- Types of training used to develop swimmers
- Planning, delivery and evaluation of a series of sessions
- Effective management in training and competition
- Communication skills within the swimming coaching environment
- Motivational techniques
- Developing swimming skills and competitive swimming strokes
- Evaluating swimmer progress
- Reflecting and evaluating on own performance
- Planning for professional development
If you are eligible to receive the Swim England Member Offer please contact your regional Swim England office to access this. If you book onto the course and discover you are eligible for the offer we will be unable to provide you with a refund.
- How to Enrol:
- Click book on course or use the contact details below.
You must be at least 18 years of age at the start of the course.
Swim England Assistant Swimming Coach
Swim England Assistant Swimming Coach – Blended Learning Whole Course
ASA Level 1 Coaching Swimming or equivalent post 1994
If you are unsure if your qualification meets the pre-requisites, please check with the Institute of Swimming on 01509 640640
– to have been coaching in the last 3 months on a regular basis
– to be linked to a swimming club with access to 3 sessions per week for off course assessment
– to have access to swimmers that sit within 2 different stages of the ADSP (Athlete Development Support Pathway) i.e training to train and above over the course of a 6 week mesocycle
– to work with a coaching assistant
– to have knowledge and experience of current coaching best practices
Institute of Swimming
- 01509 640640
Abingdon Sports and Leisure