Head Age Group Coach
- City of Oxford Swimming Club
- Contract Type:
- Fixed-term contract
- Coaching Swimming: Level 3 Award or Senior Swimming Coach Certificate
- Coaching Swimming: Level 2 Award or Swimming Coach Certificate
- Working Hours:
- Full time
- £25,000 - £32,000
- Closing Date:
- 13th May 2021 23:59
- Job Reference:
- Age group coach
The City of Oxford Swimming Club is seeking a Head Age Group Coach.
As Head of Age Group Coach, the successful candidate will support the full time coaching across the Club, and be responsible for the development of Age Group swimmers. There is an exciting opportunity for working alongside Senior Coaching staff.
City of Oxford Swimming Club (COSC) is a not for profit organisation, run entirely by volunteers, together with a small paid coaching team. We offer lessons, coaching and competitive swimming for swimmers aged seven to over 70. We are proud of our team spirit and inclusiveness, providing an aquatic family for swimmers ranging from youngsters in lessons, to performance athletes competing at regional, national and international level. We also support masters’ swimmers (>18s who wish to train and perhaps compete) para swimmers, triathletes and open water swimmers. For the last six years, COSC has reached the National Arena League Finals. In recent years we have fielded A and B teams of junior swimmers in the Milton Keynes Junior League, the A-team reaching the regional final of the competition
Salary: Starting salary £25,000 - £32,000 pa
Hours: This is a full-time position (part-time considered).
Contract duration: Offered as a fixed term contract for two years, commencing immediately and subject to review and extension.
Please see person specification for this role (see below)
Overview of roles and responsibilities
You would be responsible through the Head Coach to the Chair of the City of Oxford Swimming Club for:
- Management, development and delivery of coaching services for Age Group swimmers (generally aged 10 to 14);
- Delivering a high standard of swim coaching to the Club;
- Assisting in maintaining the Club at SwimMark Competitive Development level;
- Picking, managing and monitoring the selection and management of swimmers for team competitions;
- Together with the Head Coach advising the Club Committee on all matters of Age Group swimming coaching;
- Observing Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities and Anti-Discrimination across relevant squads, in line with Club and Swim England codes of conduct and with consideration of safeguarding policies during squad sessions;
- Working with the Head Coach and the Club Committee to maximise income potential for the club;
- Introducing the implementation of the Swim England Club Awards scheme;
- Attending weekly coaches’ meetings;
- Attending competitions.
Delivery of swimming coaching
- Leading coaching for Age Group swimmers in collaboration with the rest of the coaching team.
- Setting an appropriate competition plan in conjunction with the coaching team for Age Group swimmers and performing the role of lead coach for these swimmers at competitions.
- Providing support and helping the development of junior coaching staff involved with Age Group swimming.
- Liaise with the Head Coach regarding the progression of Age Group swimmers through the squad system.
- Designing varied and exciting sessions for the swimmers to enjoy.
- Coordinating the activities of the Age Group swimmers including annual planning, individual feedback and target setting, continual monitoring of development, and attendance at competitions.
- Providing regular personalised feedback to Age Group swimmers and their parents/carers in a professional manner and developing positive and supportive relationships with them (including three way meetings with swimmers, parents/carers and coach at least twice a year).
- Ensuring swimmer development plans are in place and these are aligned with appropriate progression.
- Ensure that session registers are completed on Swim Manager.
- Assisting the Head Coach in ensuring that all squads’ sessions are covered by a suitable coach. This includes those occasions when taking holiday or absent from the poolside at competitions.
- Liaising with the Head Coach and Club Committee on matters of policy and discipline;
- Any reasonable further duties as might, from time to time, be requested by the Club.
You are expected to attend, support and motivate swimmers at competitions, which could include:
- Junior League;
- National Arena League;
- COSC Development Meets & Level 3 meets;
- ONB County Championships;
- South East Regionals;
- Open Meets; and
- Summer Nationals.
Health and Safety, Equal Opportunity Anti-Discrimination and Data Protection Legislation
- Ensure all applicable SwimMark requirements are fully incorporated in the running of all poolside activities, land training and competitions.
- Ensure the Welfare Officer is made aware of any accidents, incidents or concerns that might occur during a training session.
- Observing Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities, Anti-Discrimination and Data Protection across all squads, in line with Club and Swim England codes of conduct and with consideration of safeguarding policies during squad sessions.
- Be aware of the club policies and procedures and those of Swim England.
How to apply
For any questions and informal discussions or visits, please contact us via the apply button.
Please include a letter of application, plus your CV, with references to be taken up upon offer.
An Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check will be carried out on the successful candidate.
- Contact phone