Head of Development
- Stockport Metro Swimming Club
- Contract Type:
- Water Safety: RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ)
- Coaching Swimming: Swimming Coach Certificate or Level 2 Award
- Coaching Swimming: Assistant Swimming Coach Certificate or Level 1 Award
- Working Hours:
- Full time
- £24,000 to £26,000
- Closing Date:
- 11th October 2023 23:59
- Job Reference:
- Head Development Coach
Stockport Metro Swimming Club, based in Cheshire, is looking to appoint a new full-time Head of Development to help lead and coach this integral part of our performance pathway. The new coach will work alongside the Head Coach and Assistant Head Coach to manage the development pathway for our young swimmers and continue to strengthen the link between our successful lessons and performance coaching programme.
The role will include coaching and administration duties with a primary focus on creating an engaging, high-quality, skilful, technical pathway for our development swimmers. The role also includes assisting on either the National Youth Squad (swimmers aged 15-18) or Regional Age Squad (swimmers aged 11-14) depending on your experience.
There will also be opportunities for personal development and mentorship from our highly experienced coaching team.
About Stockport Metro
Stockport Metro has enjoyed a long history of podium success across all age groups at County, Regional, National and International levels, breaking countless British and Commonwealth records. Since moving to our 50m Grand Central Pools fourteen athletes have qualified for the Olympic Games, and the club has produced four Olympic medallists, making it the most successful in British history.
The club is now in an exciting new era with the recent appointment of Head Coach Rick Hall and is looking to build on the success it had previously.
- To coach development squads (swimmers aged 8-11) with a primary focus on improving technique, skill and training ability.
- To coach either the National Youth (aged 15-18) or Regional Age Squad (aged 11-14) depending on experience.
- To assist the Head Coach on Performance Squad sessions when needed.
- To work with our Strength and Conditioning coach to organize and lead land training and pre-pool for the above squads.
- To work with the Head Coach and Assistant Head Coach to ensure a progressive pathway from lessons to our age group squads.
- Attend all competitions and camps as required.
- Organise holiday training/skill camps.
- To manage coaches and squads within the Development pathway ensuring they are working towards the long-term vision of the programme.
- Work with our Academy Squads and Lessons programme to ensure pathway progression.
- Link with other lessons/schools/partner clubs each week to help build our pathway.
- Attend regular senior coach meetings and other programme development meetings.
- Organise and communicate competition entries for the programme.
- Help organise our November and March Open Meets and other internal meets.
- Manage all communication within your squads, parents and the development pathway.
- Organise the Junior league teams and help with Arena League.
- Help with CPD and coach development within your pathway.
- Assist with Swim Mark accreditation.
Our Coaching Team
Our coaching team consistently promote the values of the programme. The ideal candidate would ideally share the 5 key characteristics that we promote within our coaching team:
Preferred Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
- A minimum of Swim England Swimming Coach certificate/ASA Level 2 Award, or an interest in working towards this (if not already).
- A sound knowledge of all areas of the Stockport Metro swimming programme, including the teaching programme (essential)
- Strength and conditioning qualification (desirable)
- National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) (desirable)
- A minimum of two years' swimming coaching experience (desirable)
- The ability to relate and communicate with people of all ages and deal with associative issues and situations (essential)
- The ability to be well-planned (essential)
- The ability to work to deadlines and exceed targets (essential)
- The ability to monitor, evaluate and be prepared to change plans where necessary (essential)
- The ability to keep accurate records (essential)
- The ability to work on own initiative and to work as part of a wider team (essential)
Other Benefits of the Role:
- Free gym and pool membership at any of our centres
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pooltime for private one-to-one sessions (additional to salary)
- Funded CPD opportunities (formal and informal) on the recommendation of the Head Coach
- Expenses package for meets and camps (accommodation, subsistence, and travel)
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the role further, please contact Head Coach Rick (see below).
How to apply
Please send your CV and cover letter detailing why you think you would be suitable for this role via the apply button.