Head Swimming Coach
- Saxon Crown (Lewisham) Swimming Club
- Contract Type:
- Coaching Swimming: Level 3 Award or Senior Swimming Coach Certificate
- Coaching Swimming: Level 2 Award or Swimming Coach Certificate
- Working Hours:
- Full time
- £33-35k per annum plus performance bonus
- Closing Date:
- 3rd September 2019 23:59
Saxon Crown (Lewisham) Swimming Club, based in South East London, is seeking a head swimming coach.
This is a re-advertised post after our preferred candidate withdrew for personal reasons.
The role is a full-time role but we would be willing to consider part-time candidates and restructure the role for the right candidate.
Saxon Crown (Lewisham) SC is Lewisham borough’s only competitive swimming Club. Based in Lewisham, South East London, we have about 450 members encompassing all ages and abilities, including learn to swim, development, fitness, county, regional, Masters and Disability squads. We are Swim Mark accredited. We are an increasingly successful Club, with significant increases in medals at this year’s counties and regionals, and we are looking for a Head Coach to join us to lead the Club’s swimming programme to the next level of achievement. Our current Head Coach, Gareth Keating, is moving to Singapore after two seasons with the Club. The role will be available for the start of the new season (September) or earlier by agreement.
Our Club’s philosophy is to be a diverse and inclusive club that provides opportunities for all levels. We want swimmers to be the best they can be, whether that means competing at a national level, keeping fit or learning important life-long skills and values. We compete in Division One of the National Arena League, regularly finishing in the top half of the Division, and the Kent Junior League. We have National swimmers, County and Regional champions and National and European Masters champions. We also have a thriving Learn to Swim programme and Disability squad, and have just been awarded funding for three years by Lewisham Council to run summer top-up courses. We operate at all five of Lewisham’s pools and also have weekly slots at Crystal Palace 50m pool. We have more than 10 coaches and volunteers and run more than 60 sessions a week.
It is critical that the Head Coach supports our philosophy, showing a passion for all aspects of the Club. Applicants will:
- Be well-organised, enthusiastic, self-motivated
- Have a passion for developing swimmers regardless of their ability and leading a coaching team.
- Need to have excellent communication and motivational skills, with swimmers, coaches and parents.
- Have previous senior competitive coaching experience.
- Plan the competition calendar and ensure coaches attendance and support of swimmers at galas
- Manage the coaching rota and hold regular coach meetings to ensure progress throughout the squads
- Develop a positive working relationship with all swimmers and parents
This is an excellent opportunity for a Head Coach in a smaller club or a senior coach in a large club wishing to take the next step in their career. We are an enthusiastic and supportive committee and are looking forward to developing an excellent working relationship with a new Head Coach.
The specific criteria for the role are:
- Must hold or be working towards a UKCC Coaches Level 3 qualification
- Extensive knowledge and experience of swimming and its competition structure
- Excellent technical understanding of swimming specific LTAD.
- Ability to build strong relationships with swimmers and, parents to continually encourage individuals towards the next level of swimming or club development.
- Excellent communication, organisational and leadership skills.
- 37.5 hours a week, involving early morning, evening and weekend hours (one full day off a week), with a minimum of 20 hours coaching. We would be willing to consider a part-time application
- 25 days' annual leave
- Competitive salary (between £33k-£35k depending upon experience) and up to £1k annual performance bonus. We regularly review salary and are targeting a full payment package of £40k within two years.
How to apply
For an informal discussion about the opportunity, and to request an application form, please contact Neil Amos, Chair, via the apply button below.
Please note that CVs will only be accepted where accompanied with a completed application form.
Please return your completed form to the same email address. If you are returning your completed application form by email you will be asked to sign the declaration statement at a later date.
Short-listed applicants will be invited to attend an interview scheduled to take place in the Club’s office and potentially to run a short training session, at:
Glass Mill Leisure Centre, 41 Loampit Vale, London, SE13 7FT
Completed application forms must reach us no later than the closing date above.
- Contact phone