We have a range of useful school swimming resources to help improve school swimming lessons.
Browse through the selection of materials below and receive support to deliver quality, effective school swimming lessons
- 2017/2018 Government advice to schools on the use of the Primary PE and Sports Premium. Access it here.
- Swim England guidance on use of the Primary PE and Sports Premium for school swimming. Access it here.
- Guidance on reporting use of the Primary PE and Sports Premium in school swimming. Access it here.
- Minimum standards of swimming strokes for school swimming. Access it here.
- Association for Physical Education (AfPE) – Evidencing the Impact – website reporting template. Access it here.
- School Swimming Guidance. Download it here (PDF)
- Advice to Parents on School Swimming. Download it here (PDF).
- Advice regarding Disability and Special Educational Needs in School. Download it here (PDF).
Resources only available to Charter Schools
The School Swimming Charter aims to create a direct relationship between Swim England, the national governing body for swimming, and primary schools in England for the first time.
We are encouraging schools to sign up to receive a comprehensive package of support including:
School Swimming Charter Pack
The following resources will be sent to your school when you sign up to the School Swimming Charter:
- School Swimming Charter document (see image right); a printed brochure which explains the Charter in detail.
- National Curriculum Resource Pack – a splashproof folder containing three comprehensive guidance booklets on delivering school swimming.
- Package of 140 badges and certificates (see image right) covering Awards 1-4 (35 badges and 35 certificates per award), which are used to award to pupils on successful completion of each stage.
- Waterproof Guidance Cards for teachers to use on poolside which explain and illustrate the outcomes for each Award.
- 70 Passports (see image right) for pupils to record their progress, which can be used to show parents how their swimming is developing and can be used when moving to a new school. The Passports will include 35 stickers per Awards 1-4.
- Aquasplash Festival Pack for organising a primary school swimming competition, including a splashproof guidance booklet, DVD and activity cards giving comprehensive details on how to run a competition framework.
- A School Swimming resource bag use to store all of the physical resources.
These are stored in an online library for Charter schools to access:
- Resources for school teachers to use in the class, including fun activities and cross-curricular ideas
- Templates for use poolside to help deliver lessons and record pupil achievements
- Templates for School Swimming Champions to use in communications with parents, swimming teachers and pool operators
- Water safety presentation for pupils and Charter introduction presentation for use in assembly
- Demonstration video clips including how to introduce a ‘games led’ approach to swimming lessons
- School Swimming Parent Guide for web or email distribution
- School Swimming stamp for school use on printed and online materials
Charter schools will be provided with our Resources Catalogue in order to purchase additional resources as and when they are needed. If your school is already signed up, request the Resources Catalogue by emailing here.
School Swimming Audit And Observation Sheets
We also provide audit sheets for school swimming. These include a delivery planning sheet, pupil observation sheet, school audit form and more.
They are all held on one spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel format.
- Click here to download the school swimming audit example spreadsheets.
Below are a small range of sample lesson plans to help you with planning your school swimming lessons. All are Microsoft Word documents. Further lessons plans are available to Charter schools.
- Click here to download Lesson Plan Award 1
- Click here to download Lesson Plan Award 2
- Click here to download Lesson Plan Award 3
- Click here to download Lesson Plan Award 5
- Click here to download Lesson Plan Award 6
- Click here to download Water Safety Lesson Plan 1
- Click here to download Water Safety Lesson Plan 2