Swimming Fitness Pool Training Session 11November 2, 2017
In Pool Training Session 11 you will swim 40 lengths of a 25 metre pool, or 1000 metres.
- Lengths: 40
- Distance: 1000m
- Difficulty: Tough
- Equipment Required: Fins (optional)
- Download the printable version of this session
Pool Training Session 11 sees you finally reach that 1km marker with your pool training! Well done!
Being able to swim 1000 metres is a great achievement and fantastic for your health.
The main set of Session 11 should be swum at easy and steady effort.
When you feel comfortable with this session, move on to Pool Training Session 12 where you will swim past the 1km mark and user harder effort in your swim.
Pool Training Session 11
Tap or click on the the warm up, skill development, main set or swim down parts of the session below.
- Swim 3 x 2 lengths using a stroke of your choice at easy effort.
- Rest for 10 seconds after every two lengths.
- Focus on inhaling when your head is out of the water and exhaling under the water. Use small, relaxed and controlled breaths.
- Swim 6 x 1 length using front crawl kick on your side.
- Your front arm should be outstretched under the water and your top arm will be against your side.
- Use a small kick. Using fins – if they are available – will help with this exercise.
- Change sides every five metres as you swim down the length. To change sides, perform a front crawl arm pull and rotate to the other side, taking a breath if needed.
- Rest for 15 seconds after each length.
- Swim eight lengths using a stroke of your choice at steady effort.
- Rest for 60 seconds after completing these eight lengths.
- Next, swim 4 x 2 lengths using a stroke of your choice at easy effort, focusing on your breathing.
- Rest for 15 seconds after every two lengths.
- Finally, swim 2 x 4 lengths using a stroke of your choice at steady effort.
- Rest for 20 seconds after every four lengths.
- Swim four lengths at easy effort, using a different stroke to the main set.
How did this session feel?
If you struggled towards the end of the session, why not try it again next time you visit the pool?
If you think you’re ready to progress, move up to Session 12.